Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I live in RI and we have been hit bad with the rain (at least 6" the first day). My basement gun room, which does not ever get water, has been flooded. After a long time fighting the battle with a pump and wet-vac, I gave up the fight and went into rescue-stuff mode.

I was very thankful that I put the steel cabinets 2" high when I set them up (on wood) and also glad I left my one big safe on the original pallet, so it was 5" up, ammo also being on a raised plastic pallet. When It got close to 2", I safely got most of the contents close to the floor out, including the guns without issues.

I'm lucky, since my efforts for a solid day kept the water below 5". Many of my colleagues at work can't say the same.

It also says something for preparedness, an area in which I was lacking since I'd never had flooding before. I had the wet-vac (which does 500-700 GPH hooked to a hose) , but sump/utility pumps sold out in the area immediately. I was able to secure a bilge pump for another 360GPH, keeping it at bay. The water table actually rose higher than my basement floor and a thin crack running the entire perimeter of the house was gurgling water like a small fountain.

Now I understand a little bit of what the midwest seems to get every year or two, and it SUCKS.

-Greg

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,291 Posts
Glad to hear you did save your stuff. Wonder if your Homeowners will pay to dry things out and mold-treat the basement? Not to mention doing the fix" to keep it from happening again (which calls for taking a number of steps around the perimeter that will NOT be inexpensive).

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,859 Posts
Glad to hear you did save your stuff. Wonder if your Homeowners will pay to dry things out and mold-treat the basement? Not to mention doing the fix" to keep it from happening again (which calls for taking a number of steps around the perimeter that will NOT be inexpensive).
+1 on being glad you did save the guns. The "fix" is to move up the hill from where you live now.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
So, I live in RI............. Now I understand a little bit of what the midwest seems to get every year or two, and it SUCKS.

-Greg
A thread started here a couple of years back went the direction of bagging on those of us that live in California and the BIG question came out "Why would anyone live in CA?" The response that still makes me laugh to this day was "Tube Tops in February" but I think now I have another reason. No rain

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,083 Posts
A thread started here a couple of years back went the direction of bagging on those of us that live in California and the BIG question came out "Why would anyone live in CA?" The response that still makes me laugh to this day was "Tube Tops in February" but I think now I have another reason. No rain
What causes the mudslides ??

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
mjneal,
im on the top of a hill and my crawspace basement got 1 1/2ft of water in it, i was lucky i wanted to get some parts out of there, opened the trapdoor and saw the water was 1/2 way to the opening. it never got more than a tiny bit on the floors (less than a 1/4" in the heavy rains), which is why i put down some skids to keep it off the ground, needless to say when i saw ammo cans floating around i just about shit myself. i had my son at the entrance and was handing him the parts kits and other stuff i had down there (2 ak's, a rpk, a sten, a pps43 and a chinese sks) they were sealed in the fold over and clip "waterproof" bags. the only thing they did was fill up with water. i had 30+ sten mags, 10 pps43 mags and 20 ak mags down there sealed in glad ziplock bags and every one was full of water. i had a gallon of wd40 and me and my son would pull the stuff out of the bags, dunk it in the wd40 for 30 seconds, pull it out and wipe them down. we did that for at least 3 hours each day since monday and last night i finished it up (5+ hours) finally got everything secured. the only thing i can say is buy GI ammo cans, all the ones i had didnt have a drop of water in them, but every cabelas can had water in them. the ammo i put the ones aside that didnt shake(powder) and will pull them to see if they are wet

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I had a simular "experiance" with a river flooding my camp,my hunting guns and all. Being near the ocean, a couple three tides of saltwater backwashed in as well.
At the camp we heated a big pot of water, and before they dryed and rusted, I took 'em apart and got them stable.
I started out with dowsing the metals in boiling hot water, just like when I cleaned the barrels for corrosive ammo,, and set them aside to dry and get scrubbed and oiled. Worked out quite well for the metal,rust was dodged, and they were clean inna hurry, it was the wood that took time to dry and refinnish, and was not that pretty anymore.....That took alotta time to get back in shape.
Thank God hisself the ammo was dry in Army ammo cans :D

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,859 Posts
pacomdiver, sorry to hear about your flood, here in Oklahoma we don't generally have basements except for tornado shelters/root cellars. Thanks for the information about the cabelas can's, I will stick to USGI cans from now on. Otherwise stay high and dry guys.

·
Silver Bullet member
564 Posts
Well, hopefully you won't have problems even though you kept the guns out of the water. Water in a basement creates a lot of humidity. Keep that dehumidifier running...

I store ammo in USGI cans as much as possible, I can't believe how the prices have gotten to be on those. I remember paying 2.99 for 30's and 3.99 for 50's not that long ago.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Large quantities of ammo cans come up for auction all the time at ridiculously low prices. I went in with my local club members on a buy this past year and got 60 .30 cal cans in excellent condition for 24 cents each. Now I have a nice cube of cans stacked on a shelf in my shed and I just pull a can out when I need another one.

Govliquidation.com is the approved DoD contractor who handles the surplus sale of cans. They typically have warehouses on all the major bases.

The Expert

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i live on the top of a mountain, so its all rock, my basement is a crawl space(a 3ft high cellar) and it even has a 5ftish rock that was concreted around sticking up thru it, i kept stuff i didnt want in plain sight down there plus some misc crap. i thought the cabelas cans were ok because they were floating but the one had about 2" of water in it and the other one has about 1" of water. they were on a shelf i had down there but mustve gotten caught under the next one up and leaked in, needless to say the next gunshow im gonna stock up on 50's and fat 50's. i just cant beleive the gallon sized ziplocks leaked, when i sealed them, i left some air in them and they were like an airmatress when i squeezed them so they were definitelly sealed, but all ended up about 1/2 full of water

·
Registered
35 Posts
This reply isn't about guns but rather about flooding. I have been through two major floods. One was on the Russian river. The river crested 47 feet above flood level. Everything was under water except my house. I was at the top of the hill and could see the water just a couple of houses away. I got air lifted out on that one. The other one was in the eighties and I was living in the Santa Cruz mountains. We had 17 inches of rain in one night. It was amazing. It was like being under a fire hose everywhere outside. When I woke up in the morning and looked out the front window I saw my neighbors truck. It was stuck in the mud and only the top of the cab was showing. A lot of people died that night. One family tried to drive out. So much water was going over the road that they slid off into the river. They all died. I didn't see it but I heard that after the water level went down they found other peoples bodies stuck in the trees. That was a bad night.

Oh I forgot there was one other "flood" I went through. The toilet in the basement stuck open and flooded the basement. There is a drain to the sump so it didn't get more then an inch off the floor ( and all of my guns stayed dry, thank you God). It was a real pain getting it all cleaned up. Insurance covered it but all of the wall board had to come off. I talked with my neighbor and she told me that on her house they forgot to put a drain in the basement. That means if her downstairs toilet starts running she is going to have a swimming pool down stairs.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
What causes the mudslides ??
That's up in the LA area where all the rich folks build on hillsides. Because of the lack of rain, we get frequent wild fires that strip the land of anything that can act as a stabilizer for the ground. Then, when it does rain.....look out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.