Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Platinum Bullet member
19,455 Posts
A guy who cuts up recievers on Police confiscated weapons and sells the parts has one for sale currently...Looking at it makes ya want to cry....
It's that Taliban mentality - that things are evil. Just like those nuts that blew up the ancient Buddas in Afganistan, we are doing the same thing. Only, we claim to be "enlightened"

· Platinum Bullet member
19,455 Posts
The police should not be allowed to destroy weapons without a historical evaluation and consideration first. I wonder how many wonderful guns have been lost to this kind of lameness. Gun buybacks are just plain STOOPID anyway, but this is really STOOOPID.
That would make too much sense, so these fanatical liberals won't hear of it. As we all know, last ditch Arisakas are primo gang banger weapons. There was that T-99 pressure test posted here a while back that was turned in. Thankfully, it was saved from the melt down when the ding dong that turned it in found out how much it was worth.

· Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
That would make too much sense, so these fanatical liberals won't hear of it. As we all know, last ditch Arisakas are primo gang banger weapons. There was that T-99 pressure test posted here a while back that was turned in. Thankfully, it was saved from the melt down when the ding dong that turned it in found out how much it was worth.
A pressure-test rifle? Wow. I've actually been tempted to turn in some of the stripped, pitted, worthless recievers I have so I can use the money to buy more rifles. I just can't bring myself to add to the number of "guns off the streets".

· Silver Bullet member
2,138 Posts
If I'm seeing right that is not a 30 bolt. I've got a 30 receiver if some wants to try and put that thing back together. But I don't think there is enough parts even with the receiver to do it. riceone

· Banned
1,233 Posts
riceone, its a north china type 19, not a type 30 carbine. oddly enough, there was a NC T-19 at the local gunshow this weekend. it was missing the floorplate, spring, and follower, and priced at $300. i told a fellow dealer/collector about it and he ran right over and bought it.

· Banned
729 Posts
The scary part is that this fellow is selling live firearms according to the ATF rules on demilling----the receiver must be torch cut into 4 seperate pieces to be considered properly demilled. The rifle as shown above (and in his other auctions) are considered to still be a live firearm that can chamber and fire a live round, and therefore require a FFL to transfer.

If this seller is affiliated with a law enforcement agency, he should be aware of and conform to the law.

· Gold Bullet member
3,258 Posts
The police should not be allowed to destroy weapons without a historical evaluation and consideration first. I wonder how many wonderful guns have been lost to this kind of lameness. Gun buybacks are just plain STOOPID anyway, but this is really STOOOPID.
I wonder if we could convince some politician to sponsor a "Historic Preservation Act" style of bill to prevent that? Might be able to tack it onto and hide under the pork of one of those Bridge to Nowhere Bills I keep hearing about.

· Banned
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
....oddly enough, there was a NC T-19 at the local gunshow this weekend. it was missing the floorplate, spring, and follower, and priced at $300. i told a fellow dealer/collector about it and he ran right over and bought it.
That is odd....now that you mention it.....seems that many I have heard of or seen are missing floor plate spring and follower. I wonder why?

· Registered
851 Posts
I wonder if we could convince some politician to sponsor a "Historic Preservation Act" style of bill to prevent that? Might be able to tack it onto and hide under the pork of one of those Bridge to Nowhere Bills I keep hearing about.
Not a bad idea at all, but I lack faith that our politicians could ever come up with or agree to what defines "historic"....

· Silver Bullet member
15,806 Posts
Madboy,
your comment only applies to NFA weapons, i.e. machine guns.

A simple cut of the reciver shown effectively destroys the receiver of a rifle or pistol.

· Banned
729 Posts
Madboy,
your comment only applies to NFA weapons, i.e. machine guns.

A simple cut of the reciver shown effectively destroys the receiver of a rifle or pistol.
A firearm is a firearm, without regard to the NFA, and the above is definately not an antique.

We could debate the fine points for hours, but the above 'rifle' is a live firearm capable of firing live ammunition, and is therefore a firearm in the eyes of the Alphabet Agency.

The mechanism as imaged above will allow a live cartridge to be chambered, the bolt to be locked into battery, and the cartridge fired by a manipulation of the firing pin. Probably not safe or recommended, but it is entirely "do-able" and a bullet will come screaming out the end of the barrel. That constitutes a firearm in the eyes of the BATF&E.

Federal Firearms Act. 15 U.S.C. Chapter 18.

Firearm. Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is
designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the
action of an explosive........

· Silver Bullet member
15,806 Posts
Madboy,
then so is a barrel (or a pipe); just insert cartridge and hit with a sharp implement.

You are incorrect on this one, but it is not worth arguing the point.

The military destroyed and then sold as scrap tens of thousands of arms by cutting the receivers into two pieces; all the time the alpabet soup boys were in business. Some sheared, some saw cut, some torch cut; but most all would 'fire' under the scenario you describe. Not to mention the scores of firearms parts kits that the BATF allowed into the country in the last years.

· Banned
729 Posts
then so is a barrel (or a pipe); just insert cartridge and hit with a sharp implement.
Doing so may not be against the law unless you manufacture and sell this said device. It is fully legal for an individual to make such a thing for one's own use, so long as it does not violate the NFA.

The military destroyed and then sold as scrap tens of thousands of arms by cutting the receivers into two pieces; all the time the alpabet soup boys were in business. Some sheared, some saw cut, some torch cut; but most all would 'fire' under the scenario you describe. Not to mention the scores of firearms parts kits that the BATF allowed into the country in the last years.
Equating what the US military does or did to what is legal for an individual operating under the rules set forth by the BATF&E is wraught with fail.

If you've noted, all currently imported demilled arms have the receivers torch cut into 4 seperate pieces. This is to satisfy the currrent ATF regs on proper demilling, and no other reason. The old standard was saw cut into 3 seperate pieces until this was deemed "too readily convertible". Such laws have changed repeatedly over the years, and what used to be is no longer legal.

It all comes down to what the ATF could prove in a court of law, and I have no doubt that they (or you or I) could have the above mechanism firing projectiles repeatedly with accuracy and deadly effect with very little effort. That would make it a firearm by any number of regulations.

Like you, I have no dog in this fight, but I would hate to see someone under the ATF's thumb due to ignorance of the law. It is always best to stay on the better side of caution when dealing with this agency, as they operate under a different set of rules that do not conform to any definition of "common sense".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.