Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a 22 rifle that resembles the full-size K98 Mauser rifle. From what research I've done so far, it seems like the Norinco TU-KKW, and/or the TU 33/40 are a likely choice. I believe they are made in China, and if so, how is the quality & reliability? Can one get parts if needed, or are they throw aways like many Chinese products?

Any insight and recommendations for purchasing a 22 Mauser look-alike would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your HELP!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello! I currently have a TU-KKW as well as had a Tu-33/40. They have pretty good workmanship especially when considering the price, and besides the bottom protruding 5 round magazine, have a exterior appearance that resembles the original KKW rifle quite faithfully. Their action is copied from the dated Brno Model 1 made in Czechslovakia and un-interchangeable with the KKW rifles. Magazines are easy to find, given that they utilize a clone of the current production Czech model 452 magazines. The only caveat would be unknown parts availability in case of breakage, but I've put more than 1k rounds easily through mine and perceived no abnormal wear anywhere.

My specimen has been 100% reliable over the aforementioned 1000+ rounds in terms of feeding, ignition and extraction. I did notice it doesn't feed .22 short very well( unlike the Erma EL-24 conversion, which is 100% reliable around .22 short as well as .22LR), but that might be asking too much out of it.

Mine serves the purpose of my plinking around bolt action .22 rifle( soon to be scoped, too), to save my more valuable trainers from unnecessary wear and tear. My specimen came with a very nice trigger( two stage, break cleanly at 1.5lbs) and groups around 2" with Federal auto match at 50 yards. It's certainly not a Anschutz, but hard to beat if you wanted a all around, 98K style .22 bolt action to have fun with and not concerned about damaging.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,618 Posts
Around here there are many TU´s and all the owners are happy, I tried it many times and a good friend of mine has one scoped, its as precise as the best.
Another shooter took it apart and refinished the wood and other details and the piece is really a very good buy for the price.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Bought mine in 1994, my last year of Biathlon, "BC" before children.
It is short enough for kids & way cool looking like a WW2 G33/40 mountain troops rifle [which I cannot afford!!!]
Out of principle, & it did not seem that way back then, except for this rifle & one AK I will not buy PRC.
I bought the rifle as the trigger was outstanding, not far from my Anschutz biathlon rifle & in anticipation of kids
All three of my sons have learned shooting on it with excellent results
Indeed my son Joe just shot two quarter sized bulls-eyes at 50 meters, resting against a tree "like hunting or sniping" 5 round group
The safety is a bit strong for for younger kids, under 12. This is my only complaint.
All in all it is super accurate & well made.
My three sons have all learnt accuracy on this bolt, with their buddies blazing away with Ruger 10-22s & 30rd mags
It has been put through its paces, surviving many "bhoy adventures" every summer;
you still see packs of kids here in MT wandering the countryside here hunting gophers
IMHO NEVER buy a kid a semi-auto for his first rifle!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,938 Posts
I'm happy with my TU-KKW. Since the receiver was already grooved for a scope, I put a scope on it with high mounts to make a fake sniper rifle. I would not want a TU-33/40 since it is not an accurate clone. My only complaint is that the stock finish scratches easily.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
55,181 Posts
Had the I think Jw 15...copy of the model 1...
It shot great...but wouldn't settle down ...quarter wondering groups
I noticed wood compression, barrel rubbing on one side of channel
So..pillar bedded just enough to float barrel, stabilize action in that soft wood...refinished it....even though it was new...cleaned polished trigger....
made a one hole grouper out of it...at 25 yards...excellent groups at 35 and 50 open sights squirrel getter...
Never fired hollow points in it?
Sold it he made a offer of $ 125 high price then 10 or more years ago?
but the guy loved it, shot it well....and couldn't find one after two months looking..!
He justified the money spent to the improvements, custom work I did....

Crude finish, hard safety, unpolished metal....fair sights....
EXCELLENT ACCURACY...with UMC white box wad cutters looking 22... Not made any more...shot Russian target
Excellent after you wiped all the grease off

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had a TU 33/40 that shot well enough to hit a tree rat's head at 50 yds, and his eye or ear at 25 yds. Win Super X was slightly better than any of the hyper velocity ammo I tried in it. Had a 6X scope on it, but it had to be very high to clear the factory bolt handle.

No failures to feed, fire, or eject over approx. 1 brick of Super X. I used the CZ 452 mags in it.

I miss not having a .22 that mounts a bayonet, but I never shot it with the bayonet mounted.

Tom

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have had both the KKW u. 33/40 since they came on the market many years ago. I have NO complaints, they shoot great!
No parts or accessories are available in the US and never have been if you didn't get them with the rifle from the importer.
However I have been able to get about anything I wanted from Norinco in Germany. Got to get hold of them and see if I can get a stock - just bought a rifle with a busted stock.
Sarge

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Saw one out at the range last week....pretty good for the money.I have several of the Norinco .22 bolt action rifles,they are not particularly well finished (rough actually) but shoot accurately and are mechanically reliable.I regret buying them a bit but not because there is anything wrong with them,just the fact they are Chinese.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,725 Posts
The kkw with a modern 4-12x scope (on high mounts) is quite the conversation piece. The 12x is a bit of a stretch but eliminates the need for a spotting scope at 100yds. I only wish i could find the rod and sling that were missing when it arrived. Still regret not buying a bunch when navy was closing them out along with the Chinese ATD browning clones and the "Olympias". Hindsight is somewhat painful.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My TU-KKW has always been an excellent shooter and totally reliable. It shoots right with the better American .22LR rifles. I also have the Norinco JW-27 Sporter, so can use both magazines in either rifle. The basic actions are identical (BRNO clone) while the overall appearance is quite different.
My TU-KKW originally came with the shorty 2.75X scope on side rail mount, but it won't hold zero. I use a cheap Chinese 4X32 scope, and it shoots quite well.
It's funny to put this rifle on the rest, and folks back off and hold their ears expecting the typical Mauser "BOOM!" They hear the "Tink" of the .22 rimfire and immediately ask what it is? Good range conversation starter!
I put a set of sling studs on it for carrying - detracts from the military look but is practical. I once had a Kar98k sling on it. It interferes with my cheek though.

My Norinco "China Dolls".......

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,725 Posts
Nice. The KKW is a ringer for mine. Some have really thought it was a K98 sniper from a distance. One guy said he thought was an original with the .22 insert at the range. I remember the 2.5 (?) chinese scopes that Navy Arms added. Most were dovetailed top mounts but a few were screwed on side mounts. The latter were the 33/40 Norincos and IIRC marketed as special carbine sniper. As for magazine anyone know the full model interchangeabilty list for these or a source for the rod and sling? May just use full size repos

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Navy Arms was the (only?) importer for these rifles. They did have all/most of the accessories to sell separately, but I doubt that they have anything left.
I got accessories and extra mags from Norinco in Germany 6 or 7 yrs ago. Don't know if any of this is still available?
There is a Czech 22 that uses the same mags, but I don't remember the model.
Sarge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.