Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gentleman found this Tokarev (M20?) in a friend's house and was wanting to know more about what he has. These things are outside of the wheelhouse for me. Overall the bluing looks pretty nice, no visible serial, cycles just fine. The slide stampings look strange and I can't find another to compare it to.
I bought a Tokarev from Aim Surplus 20+ years ago, shot and enjoyed it, and then sold it off a few months later. That's the limit of my experience with these. I think it was Polish? Maybe not.

Would one of you identify this for me please? The only serialized part is the magazine. Thanks in advance~

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
That slide marking is indicative of a Kyber Pass made Tokarev. I know a number of them have found their way into the country through various means in the past couple decades. Definitely not a shooter, but a cool piece of workmanship and conversation piece.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That slide marking is indicative of a Kyber Pass made Tokarev. I know a number of them have found their way into the country through various means in the past couple decades. Definitely not a shooter, but a cool piece of workmanship and conversation piece.
Thanks for the reply. Not pulling your leg here, but I told my wife yesterday that the stampings looked like something India would do, but I was only kidding. Much obliged for the quick response. (y)

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
Hold the presses. I am sure some one will come along and validate that pistol for what it is.
In the initial influx of Chinese weapons via many importers, I saw SKS and AK's come thru
my fathers gun shop in those very early days that had crude stamped information on receivers
on par with the markings of this pistol. Awkward English stamped on weapons. That cleaned up
in the first year but those early Chinese weapons were stamped crudely and not too intelligently.

All the Khyber made clones I've seen in Afghanistan were not of this pistols metal finish or quality of
construction but granted, Khyber Pass & Pakistani made stuff can be found that are outwardly decent
clones.

I never saw a Khyber TT30 with .30 Mauser on it and that is why I 'm not sure its Khyber copy but rather early
Chinese export to USA.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Classic khyber pass copy. Seen loads of them with those exact markings in that font in Afghanistan. Yours is on the higher end quality wise. Probably safe to shoot but I wouldn’t risk it myself. There were a couple small manufacturers in Karachi and Islamabad making Chinese looking pistols with Russian style slide serrations selling them as “.30 bore” pistols. The guys doing them by hand in Darra Adam Khel and elsewhere were mostly using Chinese style serrations. Guessing yours is one of the former.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You know you really hit rock bottom when you (or someone) fakes Chinese guns! Kinda 1/2 serious, what was the motivation in stamping the gun with 'Norinco' ?

As for it being a real chinese gun imported to USA, it would have to predate 1968 GCA that required serial numbers and after the date when the Chinese made up the name Norinco. Was that Bush I? I dont think there is any overlap there, is there?

·
Copper Bullet member
9,813 Posts
I had one just like that that came to me more or less "direct" from Afghan-land. I decided it wasn't a shooter so it got moved along.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In a former life, I was a Chief CBP Officer, and my officers would clear military aircraft at Fort Drum. We would find all kind of weapons, but the hook was Big Army CID had the final say on prosecutions, unless we really pushed the issue.

As a former Marine, I never wanted to jamb someone up for something that I would have done. That being said, a majority of the seizures were from staff NCO’s and Officers with smuggled firearms.

That Tokarev is fun. I’ve collected all of them except a Soviet copy. A little off topic, but the Yugoslavian Tokarovs shoot the best.

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
Classic khyber pass copy. Seen loads of them with those exact markings in that font in Afghanistan. Yours is on the higher end quality wise. Probably safe to shoot but I wouldn’t risk it myself. There were a couple small manufacturers in Karachi and Islamabad making Chinese looking pistols with Russian style slide serrations selling them as “.30 bore” pistols. The guys doing them by hand in Darra Adam Khel and elsewhere were mostly using Chinese style serrations. Guessing yours is one of the former.
There we go, an absolute conclusive finding by an eye witness. End of story. And since I know him, that slams
shut anyone else's opinion.

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
is that serious or sarcasm? If sarcasm are you suggesiting that this might be a pre 1968 (no serial number) gun with the Norinco name. My Google shows Norinco founded in 1980.
It is not sarcasm whatsoever. Since as stated I know Wolfman, if he states a fact, that is end of any doubts
in my mind. I am not suggesting anything but what I said and have now re said. Full Stop.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts