Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two .45 caliber Norinco 1911 A1 copies of the Colt 1911 A1 pistol. I picked them up in the mid '80's when they were almost giving them away. Most people who thought they knew all about them almost laughed at me when I mentioned I bought them for about $150.00 They said why in the world would you buy that Chinese junk ?? I don't think I've fired a full mag. through either of them. Shortly after I bought them I was assigned to positions overseas. I applied a liberal coat of gun grease over the Norincos and put them away, almost forgetting I had them in my safe. The way things look now, Norinco guns will likely never be imported into the US again. I also have a .22 Norinco Olympia pistol I think I've shot one or two mags. of .22 LR through and a 9mm Norinco Mod. 213 copy of the Russian TT 30 pistol My two shooter SKS pieces are Norinco also.
I'm wondering under current political conditions if Norinco firearms, especially Norinco copies of the 1911 A1 pistols will attain a collector's status in a few years. Does anyone else have such thoughts?? Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have no idea about collectors status but a good friend of mine has an old norinco 1911 .45 he brings it our gun club all the time it runs flawlessly every time....seems well built he put on a set of hogue grips....its a good shooter, up here in Canada we can buy Norinco pistols still for really reasonable prices. Sorry for the ramble even though I didn't answer your question.

Regards Allen

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allen ----- Thanks for your reply. I've heard other folks who have Norinco 45's say they function very well and are quite accurate, as you have mentioned. I haven't heard what Norinco 45's are selling for here in the US but all original Norinco SKS rifles in very good condition are going for $800+. I never thought I see that in my lifetime.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
The 1911’s are popular because of their excellent reputation for metallurgy and reliability, collector status…..not in this lifetime, but a $500 pistol is still $500 whether a collector or desired shooter. I “collected” a lot of Star pistols that are really good “shooters”.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think that the Norinco 1911's are on the cusp of being collectable as long as they are still in original condition. Nearly every one I have seen has been modified in one way or the other, so un-messed with ones seem to be harder to find.

Even just accounting for normal inflation (and not looking at the hyper inflation that everything gun related is currently experiencing), pretty much all Norinco products here in the US are selling for significantly more than they were fetching a couple of years ago. I just picked up one of the recent imports of Chinese Type 54 pistols with the Glock style safety from AIM and I'm really happy with it, especially at the $225 price point. I dropped in a standard Chinese trigger I found on ebay and quickly brought it back into it's original condition.

I collect 1911's and wanted a Norinco to add to the hoard a couple of years ago. I had a heck of a time finding one that was not screwed with and simultaneously not over priced. Finally found one locally that was virtually unfired, but had a bit of handling wear and was still in the original box for $500. I know I probably paid all the money for it, but I had a feeling that I wasn't going to find another unfired one for any less dough.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I see collector demand right now for Norinco 1911. Absolutely. I have seen a few of the Olympic pistols for sale and those prices are up also. The Olympic, I think they are valued as shooters while the 1911 are higher priced and purchased to stick in the safe and check off another gap filled. AKA, collected. I hope you saved the boxes. Again for an Olympic it wont matter, but; the collectors salivate over boxes and paper. I hope you saved the boxes. Man, I wish I had all my old Ruger boxes. But who knew?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
High / four ---- My two Norinco 1911's appear very much like the photo above. I'm keeping them in very near unfired condition as well. I believe within a few years completely original condition 1911 pieces like yours and mine could be in demand for twice today's prices.
Yes I have the box and instruction paper the Olympic .22 came in. I'm keeping everything that came with it in the safe along with the two 1911's. The Olympic came with two mags. and the target weight that attached to the pistol's frame under the barrel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just curious what the norinco 1911's are worth in the US ? Here in Canada we can get them for brand new unmolested for about $400.00

Allen

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just curious what the norinco 1911's are worth in the US ? Here in Canada we can get them for brand new unmolested for about $400.00

Allen
A quick gander at Gunbroker shows an average price of around $600 + or -.

·
Administrator
69,890 Posts
Original finish and the previous owner had the custom work done on it.

Wilson barrel mag, trigger and fat safety release, the guy pretty much gave it away with free shipping with BIN of $375, some disappointed bidders after I hit the BIN.

That was in 2008

1 - 16 of 16 Posts