Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Nice pistol. Not sure in value since I am only interested in military versions. Safety looks to be done well. For the folks that like these pistols I would think the recent imports with the Glock safeties have hurt the value of your pistol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to track down when these were made. Imports from china stopped in the early 90s but I'm still working on a better date.

The book says it was made for Interstate Arms so I am gonna research in their direction.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would guess most would rather have a true Chinese military Tok over the 90s norinco civilian imports. But it is a plus, mint in the box, item for a collector. Most would favor the newer batch of Chinese Toks with the Glock trigger safety that is then removed, a small import mark under the front of the receiver, and is a real military Chinese Type 54 model with correct markings. If I remember correct they ranged in price from $325-500 depending on markings & condition. To me the intact blue box and its mint nature of its contents is worth more than the pistol. Tok ammo is pricy, not too many takers. I would venture to say the 9mm version would be easier to dump. A nice box.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
the time to research the value of a firearm that is up for sale, or anything else for that matter, is before you buy it. so you don't overpay big time

asking, what is the value? after you bought it is never the smart way to go. that's like closing the barn door after the horses ran away

just something to keep in mind for the next time

you're welcome :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh...thanks I guess? This item wasn't advertised as NIB so I researched the model 54 and saw average retail was 350$ more or less regardless of model specifics.

I posted here to see if anyone had a feel for the NIB part as well as any specifics to look for to see if it had been fired before.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Uh...thanks I guess? This item wasn't advertised as NIB so I researched the model 54 and saw average retail was 350$ more or less regardless of model specifics.

I posted here to see if anyone had a feel for the NIB part as well as any specifics to look for to see if it had been fired before.
That is a really nice pistol. As others have said... its a commercial model...not military issue. Snag a military issue one at R-Guns while they have them for 3 fitty if you want both. Before this recent batch... with the glock trigger military versions of this pistol where generally only found from bring backs and were pretty elusive. I would think as w most things surplus...when this batch is gone prices will be back up over 500.00.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

To maintain its value you keep it new in the box and keep all components in the wrap. Keep the box out of sunlight so it does not fade. If you take down the pistol look at the rails for wear to the blue, scuff marks or lateral scratches in the chamber to see how much use it has. Is it greased or oiled? I bet it is rather dry as a NIB pistol that was sitting in a display case or drawer since the 1990s. Do you see dried oil. Do you see any signs of brass color on the barrel rifling? Do you see any evidence of powder blackening on or around the chamber or barrel. There should be very minor scratches or scuffs to the outside finish. I see none, no mars to the finish by the safety or the side clip. It looks like the pistol was never used or taken out of the box which is perfect for a collector of type specimens.

Shoot it and you got a run of the mill cheep dog. Collectors want it for its condition, it is a type specimen of an early 90s Norinco, and the box and its contents. It is like an in the arsenal wrap Enfield, Mas 36, or Mosin. Just much less value. Buy a shooter and preserve that one as is. Like vintage BB guns, you want them new in a box-- that is where the value is. I'd rather have a BB Tokarev, a Russian IZH MP 656K made from a real surplus pistol.

Norinco, I always considered those as cheep pistols. A vc bring back, a beat Chinese Tok commands much more respect and value. So look for brass color markings, black powder marks and wear to the hammer, wear on the receiver body at the side take down clip and scratches from sliding it back to dissemble the pistol, wear to the rails and inside the rifling of the barrel. Do you see dried oil? Do you see scratches to the side panels of the mag and wear from the mag spring and follower going up and down when cartridges were loaded?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have found zero marks or residue to suggest it has been shot. I cocked it once then decocked it by hand to see how stiff the action was.

There is residual oil which has gunked somewhat and there is residual oil on the foam insert.

Likely this will sit untouched until sold or traded as needed. I find myself moving towards US and Commonwealth items and oddly I am less inclined to keep it being NIB. I like shooting my cz52 and this would have been a nice companion.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I feel eventually Chinese guns will go the way of Chinese art and historical items. There are probably few of these in box left and probably even fewer NIB. So may take a bit but they will be valuable one day. Unless we find a way to import them from Canada or the unlikely event we resume imports from China there are no more of these coming in either so the supply is finite.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts