Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i went and bought my first rifle today. a mosin 91/30 for $115, i put up some pics on an album in my profile if you want to see it (sorry my camera is trash). the buttplate, bolt, barrel and magazine have the same # the bayonet does not thogh. now if u can see in the pic theres an extra crossbolt above the trigger, any ideas on that? also with the bolt fully out it can move up down and side to side but only about a 1/4inch of movement, is this safe? thanks guys and sorry if im not speaking good Mosin, im trying haha

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hard to see details in the pics.
Welcome to the Forum!!! :D :D
Congratulations on your new Rifle! :D

The second bolt you describe is sometimes a stock repair or could have been done to prevent a possible stock failure. :)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
Welcome to the boards and let the addiction begin! As is often said here, mosins breed like rabbits - don't be surprised to find this one turn into multiples.

I checked out your pics. With more light (ideally daylight) your camera may focus better.
Your stock looks like a typical refurbished stock and is a wartime stock based on the rear sling slot with a liner or estucheon. When you mentioned the extra cross bolt, I expected to see a laminated stock. I guess this was done on hardwood stocks, too. The extra cross bolt was to strengthen the stock near the wrist, IIRC.

If this is a 1941 mosin, I'd assume its an Izhevsk. If it has a big star above the serial number, you have a very rare rifle. If it has a small wreath with sickle, you have a nice Izhevsk, but not too uncommon.

As far as my experience with mosins has taught me, the bolt "play" is typical. These mosin bolts are not designed like a mauser type. They have a lot of play by design. If you are concerned about the headspace at the bolt face, yankee engineers makes a great little gauge to check this. Cheap, quick and easy!

Check out this great site for more details and pics - you'll be up for hours! ;)
www.7.62x54r.net

T

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nice rifle. The off-center cross bolt is interesting. Even if it is just one of millions instead of one in a million, it still is a Mosin--beautiful piece of history.

Best part, in my opinion, is the big grin when it goes bang (ranks barely above the attention of the AR & AK folks when it goes bank--for just a $100!)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
These were not a high quality machined gun to begin with. So the play in the bolt is ok. But these old war horses can shoot good. They will surprise us if we do our part. Congrats on your purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.