Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have picked up my first lever action rifle, A Winchester 94 30-30 mfg 1986.
I purchased this rifle from a guy at the gun show in Ft Lauderdale, It has never been fired and sat in his safe since new. I cleaned and oiled the action and cleaned the little bit of gunk that was in the barrel, there is absolutely no rust anywhere. all the wood is good I think its oak or walnut I'm not sure. I have a few questions. I paid $500.00 was this too much? second when the action was open i pushed the firing pin with my finger there seems to be no spring, Is this normal? it just seems to float in there. Like i said I'm a noob any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
In my opinion $500.00 was too much it's not in the original box and truely unfired outside the factory. That movement you're talking about it normal. That's why the attorney's put the crossbolt safety on the newer 94's. It' keeps the hammer from resting on the firing pin. Your stock will either be walnut or another hardwood if it's the cheaper Ranger model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't get the box........he didn't have it but has never been fired outside the factory..how much do you think I should have paid? Should I be kicking myself....lol I was going to buy the Marlin but something said buy that Winchester.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You may have paid 100 to much,but keep in mind that you will pay 450 ,or higher for a new Marlin 336.Winchester is mostly gone now so anything they made will in time go up in value.As one of the other guys on the boards says,I didnt pay to much I bought it too soon.Enjoy it for 5 years ,and it will be worth what you paid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how can I tell which model it is? It has a 20 in round barrel, It doesn't say ranger on it just Winchester 30-30 it is a AE . Is the 94 as good or better than the 336? I am going to use it for deer hunting can anyone recommend a decent scope? not too expensive.
can I use any 30-30 Winchester ammo? lol sorry for all the questions I an a pistol guy this is my first rifle other than a 22 plinker

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sounds like the standard AE 94.Every bit as good as the Marlin.It will shoot any commercial loaded 30-30 round including the Hornedy spitzer{pointed tip} which will give you a bit more range than a flat nose bullet.This is a 150 yard hunting rifle for the most part.Check Cabelas for fair priced scopes. The 94 most likely has dropped more deer than any other single rifle.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Marlin 336's

I have both, and the Winchester is much lighter and handier. Also more compact in size. A Marlin has a solid top receiver making it easier to mount a scope. My Winchester Ranger I sold had AE and I let it go with a scope mount made especially for it found at an auction. Marlin's are really going for $450.00 now? They must have doubled in the last year or so. Maybe I'll hang onto that one I have for a bit longer after all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts