Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I own a Norinco SKS bought new in a crate back @ 1990 or so. It has been stored in a case and never fired since then and I forgot I had it until I cleaned out a storage room in the house.

I'm trying to understand what I have, as a neighbor is begging me to sell it to him. The model is a 20 inch barrel with a wood stock in extra clean condition. It has a light green sling with leather attachment straps, a blade style folding bayonet. The only marking anywhere on the gun are on one side of the receiver: Factory 26 triangle, a serial number starting with 7, then "Norinco SKS 7.62 X 30 China, KSI Pamona CA". Can someone advise me on what I have. The gun is in great condition and has all the accessories in place, same condition as it was when it came out of the crate.

Is this a D model? Is it rare, or collectible? Any idea on value? If i were to hold on to it, any advice on how to maintain it's collectible value while still having fun shooting it? Are there any modifcations that will make it function better without affecting it's collecitbility, i.e. trigger work, etc?

I appreciate any advice as I really don't know much about the SKS, but I'm intrigued. I bought it really cheap as a fun shooter, but never got around to using it and I'm just now understanding what a decent rifle it is.

Thanks,
Mike

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

I bought it in college from a large gun/hunting store. A bunch of my buddies picked them up while we were buying shotgun shells and I grabbed one at the same time. They were in wood crates, like 10 guns per crate, with about 15-20 crates per pallet. You just grabbed one out of the crate, and yes, they were $79 each. I think we bought about 6 or 7 and they gave them to us for $75 with two boxes of Chinese 7.62 ammo each. They must have had a thousand of them. I bought it and a Ruger 10/22 at the same time and spent all my time shooting the Ruger. Funny I remember all that but then stuck the SKS in a closet and didn't think twice about it since then. I still have the two boxes of ammo today, unopened.

I bought it on a lark because it looked kind of cool, and never even shot the thing. All I shoot now is sporting clays, and I'm looking into a nice pistol to use at a new indoor range that opened up down the road which led me into cleaning out the storage room looking for some 9mm ammo and there the SKS was, on the bottom shelf under all my old ammo...

I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I honestly always thought it was a junk gun due to the price I paid for it and it wasn't until I started to research it today that I realized what a great rifle it really is. I almost offered to give it to my neighbor for $50 until I came to my senses and decided to look it up on the web, hence why I ended up here.

Thanks again for the info and advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.