Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I own a Norinco SKS bought new in a crate back @ 1990 or so. It has been stored in a case and never fired since then and I forgot I had it until I cleaned out a storage room in the house.

I'm trying to understand what I have, as a neighbor is begging me to sell it to him. The model is a 20 inch barrel with a wood stock in extra clean condition. It has a light green sling with leather attachment straps, a blade style folding bayonet. The only marking anywhere on the gun are on one side of the receiver: Factory 26 triangle, a serial number starting with 7, then "Norinco SKS 7.62 X 30 China, KSI Pamona CA". Can someone advise me on what I have. The gun is in great condition and has all the accessories in place, same condition as it was when it came out of the crate.

Is this a D model? Is it rare, or collectible? Any idea on value? If i were to hold on to it, any advice on how to maintain it's collectible value while still having fun shooting it? Are there any modifcations that will make it function better without affecting it's collecitbility, i.e. trigger work, etc?

I appreciate any advice as I really don't know much about the SKS, but I'm intrigued. I bought it really cheap as a fun shooter, but never got around to using it and I'm just now understanding what a decent rifle it is.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
i would'nt modify a thing. not rare, but all norinco SKS's are collectable to me. no longer imported. in excellent condition, i'd say sell it to your friend for 275 to 350 dollars. if you bought it in about 90, you should have paid about 79 or 89 dollars for it. how do you forget you have a gun, i can't. i recommend you hang onto it. the "d" model takes ak mags, detachable. go to gunbroker, type in sks, get an idea of value.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's not rare, so it's not now nor will it be highly valuable as a "collectible".

BUT, if you like it "as is" and want to keep it totally original in pristine condition, then it's valuable TO YOU.

I wouldn't suggest selling it unless you can get someone to pay $500+ for it.

With that kind of money, you can buy or build just about any SKS you want (except for the rarest Russian collectibles).

Watch gunbroker.com and every now and then someone will offer for sale a new SKS "in the box/crate". They've been bringing around $400.

You can always mod it and later put it back in original condition. Just don't destroy or throw anything away.

Have fun and enjoy it no matter what you choose to do with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

I bought it in college from a large gun/hunting store. A bunch of my buddies picked them up while we were buying shotgun shells and I grabbed one at the same time. They were in wood crates, like 10 guns per crate, with about 15-20 crates per pallet. You just grabbed one out of the crate, and yes, they were $79 each. I think we bought about 6 or 7 and they gave them to us for $75 with two boxes of Chinese 7.62 ammo each. They must have had a thousand of them. I bought it and a Ruger 10/22 at the same time and spent all my time shooting the Ruger. Funny I remember all that but then stuck the SKS in a closet and didn't think twice about it since then. I still have the two boxes of ammo today, unopened.

I bought it on a lark because it looked kind of cool, and never even shot the thing. All I shoot now is sporting clays, and I'm looking into a nice pistol to use at a new indoor range that opened up down the road which led me into cleaning out the storage room looking for some 9mm ammo and there the SKS was, on the bottom shelf under all my old ammo...

I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I honestly always thought it was a junk gun due to the price I paid for it and it wasn't until I started to research it today that I realized what a great rifle it really is. I almost offered to give it to my neighbor for $50 until I came to my senses and decided to look it up on the web, hence why I ended up here.

Thanks again for the info and advice.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,301 Posts
i would'nt modify a thing. not rare, but all norinco SKS's are collectable to me. no longer imported. in excellent condition, i'd say sell it to your friend for 275 to 350 dollars. if you bought it in about 90, you should have paid about 79 or 89 dollars for it. how do you forget you have a gun, i can't. i recommend you hang onto it. the "d" model takes ak mags, detachable. go to gunbroker, type in sks, get an idea of value.
I have 8 of the Chinese SKSs, still in the box. They came with a sling and an ammo pouch. Plan on taking 3 of them to NGD this weekend.

As to missing guns, it is not hard to do. I was cleaning out part of my gun room. There was this box that I thought were rags. Picked it up and boy was it heavy. So at the bottom, I found a Sig 226 still in the box, a Colt Woodsman in the 70000 range, a couple of early S&Ws, and a break top Iver Johnson. We moved into the house in April of 1988and this box had not been moved since. I knew the Colt had to be around somewhere as I had not disposed of it. I figured I would find it eventually and did.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
well, i guess that's what happens when you're pushing your 90's. :D i've only got about 115 guns, i know where every one of them are..... even know them by name.:D. but my grandmother had so many kids she could'nt remember their names.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
By "in the crate" I assume that he means in the wooden crate of 30 rifles. Back in the 80's, we'd get them like that at around $29.99 a rifle. I wish I still had a few of those crates, as we bought, then sold, probably 50-60 of those crates. COSMOLINE city! I still have an empty crate around here, somewhere, that I store kayak and canoe paddles and life jackets in.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,301 Posts
well, i guess that's what happens when you're pushing your 90's. :D
How true. The older one gets, the more forgetful one becomes.

My problem is that I have too many things. I had a different place for many of the things (like two filing cabinets for example). Then my wife, in 1988, closed her business because she had difficulty with employees. She ran a wedding cake business and most of the work started on Wednesday with baking, decorating, etc. Most cakes were to be delivered on Saturday. Evening work was required and many times the employee did not show up. So that meant she had to work all night for one or two nights, with little or no sleep. Finally she became tired of doing that. All of her inventory, pans, etc. ended up in the basement and she started doing cakes out of the house while going back to school. When she finished with school, she stopped doing the cakes but but we still had all of the stuff.

For the last two years, I have been slowly getting rid of her stuff. I am ready to move the two filing cabinets out of the gun room and will do so after the holiday season and replace them with a cabinet I can put guns in.

It is a work in progress.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
man, wish i had a crate of 30 put back at 30 bucks a pop. always wondered just how cheap the things were to be sold for 79 bucks. that's over 100% markup...... bastards. :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
To have or not to have collector value

atl40, if your SKS has 7 digits being a /26\ then it is a 1963 standard SKS. If the stock does not have any SN on it then it was probably a refurbed PLA weapon that was redone for export for commercial sale. While it is by no means rare due to being a /26\ the fact that it is an early one with a blade bayonet and in the shape it is in gives it more value than other, newer, /26\ SKS's. MHO is that I would not sell it, I had one just like yours and regret having ever sold it for 2 reasons. 1. it was my first SKS and 2. I am very hard pressed to find one in that condition any more. If you only paid $75 for it I would keep it. You'll never be able to replace it for that kind of money, just get some ammo, clean it up, and go shoot it. You'll get addicted to it.
If you are determined to sell it then sell it to me:D;)
Nevertheless, I would hold out for at least $300 on that one.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,066 Posts
Damn son if you just broke that old girl out, try her on the range. It'll be love at first shot, I guarantee it. I've shot about 150 rounds through mine and she's still going strong. I got mine in a dragunov style Fiberforce stock with no bayonet and a 4x10 ultralux scope mounted on her for 200 flat after negotiations with the pawn shop back in July. That gun will bring you nothing but pure joy if you keep her, and you will most definitely regret selling her. And no, it's not an M or D variant, those have AK mags standard and the M has an odd looking stock with thumb hole if I'm not mistaken. The D variant is always a very fun one to have if just to show it off, never personally seen an M variant, but I'd assume it's equally fun to show off. You can't ask for a better gun at that price though, so do yourself a favor and hold on to her for all you're worth.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I totally disagree with the notion that the SKS will never be collectible.

There was a time when they thought that about surplus German K98k rifles.

It may not be collectible in our lifetime but your children will think otherwise. Especially after the winds of "Change" come uppon us.

Keep it original and keep it for yourself I say.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I totally disagree with the notion that the SKS will never be collectible.

There was a time when they thought that about surplus German K98k rifles.

It may not be collectible in our lifetime but your children will think otherwise. Especially after the winds of "Change" come uppon us.

Keep it original and keep it for yourself I say.

Ok, I can agree with that.

Never is a long time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.