Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased this rifle from a fellow board member and it arrived today. Bolt and receiver match. I read on another thread that a 1942 Mosin captured by the Finns was uncommon. If this true? What about the fact it is not SA marked? It looks way better than advertised and I am very happy with it. Any thoughts? See anything I missed? Thanks, John

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
I can't add anything other than I really like it!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This appears to be a post WW2 Soviet rebuild, not a Finnish gun.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,931 Posts
I am a bit biased on this one, but it is a SAMCO import and doesn't carry any of the normal Soviet refurb features. Stock finish, bolt (re) numbering font and style, and bluing were what lead me to conclude that it was Finnish used.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SAMCO import. Stock finish and the way the bolt is numbered is what I was told. Plus, it sure looks the part. Lets be clear though, if the community says it is not Finn then I am fine with that as well. No arguments. I also do not see a refurb mark.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Font on the bolt is Finnish style. Stock coating is Finnish style. Just the bolt matching is Finnish style.

All of that being said, absent an SA mark, there will always be doubters. And compared to one with the SA, it will be less desirable and value, in my estimation.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,247 Posts
Font on the bolt is Finnish style. Stock coating is Finnish style. Just the bolt matching is Finnish style.

All of that being said, absent an SA mark, there will always be doubters. And compared to one with the SA, it will be less desirable and value, in my estimation.
The only thing different between this one and most of the others from this batch of Samco Finn captures is that this one happened to not get an [SA] stamp. Doubters who would pass on a '42 Finn capture would do so at their own loss.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
If a Samco import, one can confidently declare a Finn Capture and rework. The stock alone would indicate 'not Russian'.

I have two pre-1968 carbines with no import marks at all. Neither has the SA stamp, one has a D-stamp, but I have no doubt they are both Finn.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,247 Posts
If a Samco import, one can confidently declare a Finn Capture and rework. The stock alone would indicate 'not Russian'.

I have two pre-1968 carbines with no import marks at all. Neither has the SA stamp, one has a D-stamp, but I have no doubt they are both Finn.
For sure a Samco. I found both of my identically import marked examples listed on the Samco liquidation manifests.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I had a rifle almost exactly like this, a '42 Izhevsk with matching bolt and all the same features as yours but no SA or D stamp. It came to me with one Finnish metal sling swivel on it as well. The stock looked the same and it may have even had the same prefix, I'll try to look it up as I've since sold it. I didn't know they were all that uncommon, perhaps I should have kept it

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a rifle almost exactly like this, a '42 Izhevsk with matching bolt and all the same features as yours but no SA or D stamp. It came to me with one Finnish metal sling swivel on it as well. The stock looked the same and it may have even had the same prefix, I'll try to look it up as I've since sold it. I didn't know they were all that uncommon, perhaps I should have kept it
Still no definitive answer to how many of these are around. I will keep poking around though. Lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.