12,955 Posts
Congrats! 👍

Reactions: mike radford

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it;)
If it was tula in similar condition i'd probably wouldn't bid that high but given it's podolsk I just couldn't pass on it
Not something I'd shoot anyways, have other shooting grade specimens so I'm kind of ok with the crack
Sir, congratulations!! You did very well, especially considering the seller initially wanted $10k for it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about bidding on it but eventually decided not to, because (1) IIRC, upper piston cover does not have the Podolsk stamp; (2) compared to pics of left side of buttstock taken in 2016, the cartouches now look like covered by something, I don't know if the previous seller did something to the stock after his purchase in 2016.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,502 Posts
$4500 for that one is a bargain IMHO. I've been watching SVT's on gunbroker. A typical refurb regularly pulls $3300.

Nice pick up.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I guess the only thing that commanded $4500 premium for this all original piece is that it is Podolsk. Here is an all original one from Tula witch sold for less than what most refurbs go for these days.
That Tula had really questionable stock.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,502 Posts
I guess the only thing that commanded $4500 premium for this all original piece is that it is Podolsk. Here is an all original one from Tula witch sold for less than what most refurbs go for these days.
Mismatched stock and repro mag? That takes it a long way from an all original Russian SVT40.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,955 Posts
Yes, it means the seller made a bad investment back in 2016 or there is a reason this particular rifle did not gain a value for over 6 years.
I thought the buyer got a good deal back in ‘16 and I believe that Pavlin got a great deal now.

Day in and day out people are currently paying thousands of dollars for common, run-of-the-mill firearms. Guns that not too long ago were easily available for a fraction of the prices we are seeing today.

What I find even more amazing is that many of these same deep pocket buyers have absolutely no ability to discern the difference between the wheat and the chaff. The ability to recognize and more importantly the ability to appreciate the difference between the mediocre and the exceptional is the mark of a serious student and collector.

That so many today lack the dedication and commitment to become “serious” about their (presumably) new hobby does not bode well for the sustainability of the current price bubble that they have created. When something new comes along, something cool and trendy, I suspect that many of the new gun buyers are going to lose interest and drift away. And if that happens perhaps a bit of rationality will return to our present, very much irrational gun market.

Reactions: K.H. and pcke2000

·
Registered
24 Posts
back in 2016 refurb SVT40 were selling at around $1500, the buyer from 2016 could gave bought 3 of them at $4500 and sell them at total of approx. $7500 in 2022

But then, again, from collectors point of view: if he did not buy this back in 2016, how many ore like this one would he find later?

·
Gold Bullet member
14,234 Posts
Three mostly original SVTs. They do not grow on trees. I would consider each. The walk in is likely the best deal but the biggest attraction is that they are not normal refurbs with a mix of parts and two are Podolsk. The value on such uncommon rifles is hard to put a finger on. If the Tula buyer gets it some more details would be interesting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts