Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
25,088 Posts
I usually don't click a lot of the SVT threads (only because I do not collect them; and as many threads as I do click, I need to pick and choose because of time these days), but I did because Tim posted this one, and that peaked my interest as he doesn't start that many threads on this forum as of lately. I only have to address one thing in this post, and that is that Northbrook IL isn't really that close to Mount Prospect IL. Besides, the Mount Prospect seller has been active with in the past year or so still in Mount Prospect.

· Premium Member
1,863 Posts
RyanE: It is clearly a Type 1 and, unless I'm mistaken, I think I see a faint triangle with arrow under the Tula star (ie. Izhevsk). I wish I knew more about the inspection marks, etc on these rifles. Just received my copy of Chumak so hoping to learn a lot there (only 2 weeks from order to mailbox!). I would be surprised if, by '43, Tula wasn't re-using some components from junked rifles. Great info on this forum!

Ruprecht

Attachments

· Registered
2,437 Posts
RyanE: It is clearly a Type 1 and, unless I'm mistaken, I think I see a faint triangle with arrow under the Tula star (ie. Izhevsk). I wish I knew more about the inspection marks, etc on these rifles. Just received my copy of Chumak so hoping to learn a lot there (only 2 weeks from order to mailbox!). I would be surprised if, by '43, Tula wasn't re-using some components from junked rifles. Great info on this forum!

Ruprecht
If this is a salvage, then from the inspections on the bottom, I would guess that it was an Izhevsk receiver.

· Premium Member
1,863 Posts
RyanE: Thanks for the info. As the sole remaining manufacturer of SVT's it seems to me logical that Tula might have been salvaging parts by '43. Surely there have been other examples like this seen by someone out there. The stock on this rifle, incidentally, is of far better quality/ condition than most of my re-furbs, some (most) of which have huge patches inserted in various places. The bore is also in pretty good shape with slightly dark grooves but sharp rifling.

Ruprecht

· Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sorry to start something and not get back to it, I don't get much forum time these days. Lenscrafter, are you the seller in this auction?
SlimTim

· Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Again, my apologies for the tardy response.

Yes, yes I am.*

SlimTim

* Depends on what the definition of "yes" is.

· Registered
795 Posts
This 72 yr old remembers that back in the late 50s and 60s there were svt-40 for sale in the US ; Ye Old Hunter, Goldenstate Arms etc. were selling just about every gun that fought in WW2 and before I don t know what country these Russian Svt-40s came from but I had ads showing them, as a teenager I bought through the mail 303 SMLE; Dewit Sten smg, Lanchesters smg, $19.95 delivered by RR Express to your door.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.