Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bite on this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=417154320

I noted the seller's proximity to Mount Prospect, IL, home of an infamous forger, number grinder & re-stamper and import mark remover who is a former member here and thought the results might be interesting. Legit rifle and logistical coincidence? Or not?

SlimTim

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I thought bolts were originally in the white and the ones that are colored are indeed refurbished post war in nature.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Rifle was imported into Canada in the 80s or 90s (my guess is out of Yugoslavia) and wandered into the US sometime later. Parts appear to be original to the gun but stock is sanded, refinished, and renumbered. Some of these have the metal refinished as well, but it is hard to tell from the pics. All of these are 43 dated AVT and most have the original factory metal parts (not all!) and some even have their original stocks though all of them will be renumbered vertically.

Price is absurd. I paid less for my untouched vet bringback.

I thought bolts were originally in the white and the ones that are colored are indeed refurbished post war in nature.
All bolts were blued (most coming out in shades of cherry) after late 1941.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Rifle was imported into Canada in the 80s or 90s (my guess is out of Yugoslavia) and wandered into the US sometime later. Parts appear to be original to the gun but stock is sanded, refinished, and renumbered. Some of these have the metal refinished as well, but it is hard to tell from the pics. All of these are 43 dated AVT and most have the original factory metal parts (not all!) and some even have their original stocks though all of them will be renumbered vertically.

Price is absurd. I paid less for my untouched vet bringback.

All bolts were blued after late 1941.
Actually, nobody knows how and when these rifles came into US, there are very few of them in US and it is all factory original. Stocks are original and had serial numbers added vertically probably by whatever country military requirements.

Price is not outrageous - how many of 1943 SVTs in such condition are known to exist in US? A dozen? Maybe two dozens?

Is your untouched bringback a 1943 SVT40? I bet its not 1943 dated

Lc

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
Actually, nobody knows how and when these rifles came into US, there are very few of them in US and it is all factory original. Stocks are original and had serial numbers added vertically probably by whatever country military requirements.

Price is not outrageous - how many of 1943 SVTs in such condition are known to exist in US? A dozen? Maybe two dozens?
Is your untouched bringback a 1943 SVT40?

Lc
You sound biased. To me the rifle sold for to much and was falsely advertised. The title claimed that is was a "non rebuilt" and it clearly has had some things done to the stock. And it looks to me like the stock has a large crack in it on the left side.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

Is your untouched bringback a 1943 SVT40?

Lc
The price is outrageous. That is what I expect to pay for an excellent condition, untouched original rifle, not a post-war Eastern European rework which is what this is.

I have seen at least 4-5 of these for sale over the past few years, so they are not that rare or not rare enough to demand 3K in any event.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You sound biased. To me the rifle sold for to much and was falsely advertised. The title claimed that is was a "non rebuilt" and it clearly has had some things done to the stock, like on this import marked refurb:

And it looks to me like the stock has a large crack in it on the left side.
If it was rebuilt rifle- the stock would have an arsenal repair like this arsenal rebuilt import marked rifle advertised as "historical artifact":

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412207417

How many original SVT rifles do you own to call this one falsely advertised?

Here another re-arsenaled rifle with all non-original parts and a total refurb that sold for over $1700:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=406056037

Or how about this POS ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400068412

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
If it was rebuilt rifle- the stock would have an arsenal repair like this arsenal rebuilt import marked rifle:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412207417

How many original SVT rifles do you own to call this one falsely advertised?

Here another re-arsenaled rifle with all non-original parts and a total refurb that sold for over $1700:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=406056037

Or how about this POS ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400068412
How is my owning many of these rifles relevant to this rifle being worked on post war? How many I own has nothing to do with whether this rifle has had something done to it post war by either a collector or an army. That is a silly question, which by the way I do own a matching rifle that is not rebuilt or import marked, matching even includes the magazine. How many of those have you seen? So can I get $4000 for my rifle? The point I am making is that the seller was a little misleading with his title. I am not saying he did it on purpose but that does change the fact that his rifle is not the way it was when it left the factory in 1943, therefore it has been rebuilt to some extent. Now that said, he took pictures and people knew what they were buying. I am not complaining, just commenting on the fact that I think it was a little to high. But perhaps you are correct and these rifles are increasing in price.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
How is my owning many of these rifles relevant to this rifle being worked on post war? How many I own has nothing to do with weather this rifle has had something done to it post war by either a collector or an army. That is a silly question, which by the way I do own a matching rifle that is not rebuilt or import marked, matching even includes the magazine. How many of those have you seen? So can I get $4000 for my rifle? The point I am making is that the seller was a little misleading with his title. I am not saying he did it on purpose but that does change the fact that his rifle is not the way it was when it left the factory in 1943, therefore it has been rebuilt to some extent. Now that said, he took pictures and people knew what they were buying. I am not complaining, just commenting on the fact that I think it was a little to high. But perhaps you are correct and these rifles are increasing in price.
The only thing on this rifle that was not when it left the factory is the crack in the stock. But what exactly was rebuilt?

Also it would be a great contribution to this forum if you post detailed pictures of your rifle with matching magazine.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
The only thing on this rifle that was not when it left the factory is the crack in the stock. But what exactly was rebuilt?

Is not the stock refinished? It may be it's original stock but that does not look like the original finish to me. But I could be wrong. And there is another number vertically next to the rifles serial number.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The stock is original and looks like all 1943 dated stocks supposed to look, maybe pictures are not super good with light reflection, and the same serial number stamped vertically was probably a requirement in whatever military unit so that it was visible in the rifle rack or wherever it was stored.

So are you going to post detailed pictures of your rifle? It may be worth $4000 IMHO.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The price is outrageous. That is what I expect to pay for an excellent condition, untouched original rifle, not a post-war Eastern European rework which is what this is.

I have seen at least 4-5 of these for sale over the past few years, so they are not that rare or not rare enough to demand 3K in any event.
Ryan, how can you support your claim that it's "post-war Eastern European" rework? I don't think you can.
Fact is we don't know for sure about those rifles. I have one of them all matching and stock on mine has original serial stamp, no vertical re-stamp. Stock was varnished at some time but it's not post-war shellac. So in total some stocks were renumbered, some not. All of them probably were re-varnished on top of original varnish. We don't know when and where it was done. There's at least one evidence it was done in the repair shop (during war or post-war - it's not clear).
BTW there's another thing about those rifle why ppl are willing to pay extra, not everybody knows it and I'm not willing to elaborate publicly.
To sum up - of course the rifle in question was not "all original as it left factory", but it could be "as it was prepared to enter the service" or "as it was prepared for storage after some minor check". And crack in stock is huge minus. But every rifle costs whatever someone ready to pay for it. And it's a good one.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Horilka,

It's been a month since I asked you to post pictures of your 1943 rifle
Still waiting. Regarding this one, sold on GB, this was the best 1943 rifle in original configuration known to exist in US. Yes, crack is a minus, but without it the price would be close to $4000
If anybody has a better one- please post pictures

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Ryan, how can you support your claim that it's "post-war Eastern European" rework? I don't think you can.
Fact is we don't know for sure about those rifles. I have one of them all matching and stock on mine has original serial stamp, no vertical re-stamp. Stock was varnished at some time but it's not post-war shellac. So in total some stocks were renumbered, some not. All of them probably were re-varnished on top of original varnish. We don't know when and where it was done. There's at least one evidence it was done in the repair shop (during war or post-war - it's not clear).
BTW there's another thing about those rifle why ppl are willing to pay extra, not everybody knows it and I'm not willing to elaborate publicly.
To sum up - of course the rifle in question was not "all original as it left factory", but it could be "as it was prepared to enter the service" or "as it was prepared for storage after some minor check". And crack in stock is huge minus. But every rifle costs whatever someone ready to pay for it. And it's a good one.
Your stock, unsanded and without the added serial, is the exception, as every one that I have ever seen shows sanding and renumbering. Stocks often do not match, and parts are occasionally ground and renumbered (EP'd) also. Your rifle is also reblued, though not all of them are.

The rifles are obviously and without question post-war, non-Soviet reworks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Stock of the discussed rifle is sanded. Originally serial number or any other stamps were stamped over laquier.
In this case - at first original serial number was sanded, than vertical number was stamped, and looks like only after it was laquired. Here is picture of similar 1943 rifle with better pics. I agree with Ryan, that rifle was refinished not in Soviet Union

Here are pictures how originally serial number was stamped - over laquier

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?361364-SVT-40-original-stock-finish

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,561 Posts
Ratnik thanks for your comments and information. As always it is greatly appreciated. I felt that the stock looked sanded and messed with to some extent.
Lenscrafter, here are a few pictures of my rifle you would like to see. My stock has been cleaned post war by a collector (but not sanded). That is why the color is a little off.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts