Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Banned
9,286 Posts
The sling isn't shown in enough detail to say conclusively, but looks like it might be an M38 sling (looks pretty short, plus leather reinforcements). Do the leather pieces taper out to a point?

I would agree that the escutcheons have been out, plus they are sanded. Undisturbed ones will have linear grind marks from where they were finish sanded in situ on the stock, and the screws will almost always be clocked with the slots very nearly in line with the slot:

· Silver Bullet Member
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
yea that's what I am used to seeing. Here's some better pics of the sling, it doesn't match up to anything on the combloc sling page, the webbing seems very similar to the typical post war webbing. the collar simply has a slot in one end and a pointed tab on the other end.

Wood Strap Leather Fashion accessory Metal
Hand tool Tool Wood Strap Blade

The sling isn't shown in enough detail to say conclusively, but looks like it might be an M38 sling (looks pretty short, plus leather reinforcements). Do the leather pieces taper out to a point?

I would agree that the escutcheons have been out, plus they are sanded. Undisturbed ones will have linear grind marks from where they were finish sanded in situ on the stock, and the screws will almost always be clocked with the slots very nearly in line with the slot:

· Silver Bullet Member
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
it is not as wide as the usual mosin slings, it seems very similar in the webbing and feel to a Chinese SKS sling but not construction. The collars very well could be handmade by bubba but they are old and kind of brittle. Thanks for the help everyone. Even with the stock I am still pretty stoked, It's my first non import, non finned, original matching 91/30 and I am in it for less than $300 even with shipping and fees.

No, not an M38 sling for sure. I haven't seen one like it either.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.