Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems pretty original to me, everything is marked Izhevsk except the front band. Even the cleaning rod is Izhevsk marked. Has a nice battleship grey patina on it, obviously sanded but still seems to have some of the original finish. Rear sight not pinned, bolt channel not blued. Font seems to match to me and I don't see any signs of grinding and restamping. Bore is VG+. Sling doesn't look familiar to me but looks like it has been on there a long time.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it in an online auction. I have been wondering about the finish. Doesn't seem like tru oil to me, almost seems waxy like furniture polish. No signs of runs or drips or anything.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
floor plate is a replacment. Check the B , the 4, and the 6.. all different font. Someone went crazy with the sanding on that one - any arsenal repairs?
I dunno-looked at it again, and I think everything matches.

got it in an online auction. I have been wondering about the finish. Doesn't seem like tru oil to me, almost seems waxy like furniture polish. No signs of runs or drips or anything.
Whomever refinished it actually did a good job, but I think it was done post-import. Still a nice rifle.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
No signs of runs or drips or anything.
yea, but you can use truoil and not have runs or drips if one has just a tad of a idea of what one is doing. Its the newbies that slaver it on and make it a runny and/or glazed donut.

Does the finish look similar to this : (my shooter - $5 painted black rescue stock I finished in tru-oil)

Sometimes light can be tricky.. but from the heavy duty sanding i believe and agree with the others the finish has been messed with.. at least it wasn't done tacky.. minus the sanding of course.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no it really doesn't. I have done tru oil before on my 30/30 too and it doesn't scratch with my thumbnail. I think the fonts seems pretty close but the white crayon is making it look different. I will try to get some detailed pics to see for sure.

yea, but you can use truoil and not have runs or drips if one has just a tad of a idea of what one is doing. Its the newbies that slaver it on and make it a runny and/or glazed donut.

Does the finish look similar to this : (my shooter - $5 painted black rescue stock finished in tru-oil)

Sometimes light can be tricky.. but from the heavy duty sanding i believe and agree with the others the finish has been messed with.. at least it wasn't done tacky.. minus the sanding of course.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
definitely matches, this is under the microscope, look at the markers like the hang tag on the "N" and the flat upper right corner of the "B". This compares the bolt and the floor plate. Last one is the B on the barrel.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen a lot worse, I am actually wondering if it was sanded over there but someone over here polished it up. The finger grooves are rounded like you usually see on refurbs. I am thinking it is some kind of wax since my thumbnail leaves a line on it.

yea now it looks good. The floor plate can be tricky sometimes.. nice pick up. Boy if only bubba left that stock alone.. blah

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
but what doesn't add up is that there is a lot of the original finish around the crossbolt, on the top of the stock, around the sling slot and in some of the dings. It almost looks like it was chemically stripped and then polished up. If it was sanded here why is there darker finish over some of the sanded areas? Unless he put a finish on it and didn't like it then stripped it again.

no i don't think its ever been through a refurbishment.. thats why the stock being altered is a big killer.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nope no splices or plugs or anything. Here's two more pics, you can see this one escutcheon wasn't even sanded. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter, just curious as to what was done.

the ones ive seen that are heavily sanded are ones that have many stock repairs and/or alterations. Are there any signs of stock repairs?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
nope no splices or plugs or anything. Here's two more pics, you can see this one escutcheon wasn't even sanded. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter, just curious as to what was done.

View attachment 793783 View attachment 793784
They took off the sling escutcheons when they sanded and refinished the stock, then put them back on. Looks like almost every bubba refinish I have ever seen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.