Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,227 Posts
The "decocking" thing actually goes against American safety doctrine to some degree more so than just leaving it cocked during handling as it's sometimes more dangerous than dry firing depending on the weapon. I can see how it might serve as a visual indicator to letting one know that a rifle's been check empty, but Enfields are in the large minority in my collection and most rifles take more effort to decock (two hands or just actually dry fired even), so I like to be in the habit of handling them all the same.

Are you sure the screw in the stock indicates Indian use? I thought the British also added them sometimes. India might omake a lot of since though since the rifle has no British civilian proof marks on it to speak of.
Ok, i'm trying to get my head around the first part of the above, are you saying that dry firing can be dangerous because if you have left a live round in there it could go off & so it would be better to just leave it cocked?
I would have thought that after checking the firearm is unloaded & while pointing it a safe direction dry firing would be the safe option & if you had somehow missed seeing a round still in it a controled discharge would be far better than an uncontroled discharge which could go anywhere.
Pardon me if i'm wrong about this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.