Gunboards Forums banner

No5 MKI ROF(F) 11/44

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  muffett.2008 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's some pictures of a No5 I acquired somewhat recently. I've already posted it previously (only really asking about the MkII rear sight on it though I believe), but these pictures are much better. I'm not much of a Lee-Enfield guy (yet), as I am trying to collect WW2 rifles in general. My sub-collection of Enfields is just starting out really.

Honest opinions and any questions about this No5 would be most welcome.

#5 ·
Can't think of a reason the rear sight isn't original... Certainly the lesser seen model of the two. Your rifle has seen service in India as well. Overall a very nice start for sure, congrats!

Btw, you might consider not laying a cocked rifle on the ground, even though you might know it's empty, all safety training says to treat it as loaded if it is cocked. Too many people get shot by unloaded rifles because they have let their safety standards slip. You can dry fire Lee Enfields to your heart's content. It won't hurt them.

#12 ·
The "decocking" thing actually goes against American safety doctrine to some degree more so than just leaving it cocked during handling as it's sometimes more dangerous than dry firing depending on the weapon. I can see how it might serve as a visual indicator to letting one know that a rifle's been check empty, but Enfields are in the large minority in my collection and most rifles take more effort to decock (two hands or just actually dry fired even), so I like to be in the habit of handling them all the same.

Are you sure the screw in the stock indicates Indian use? I thought the British also added them sometimes. India might make a lot of since though since the rifle has no British civilian proof marks on it to speak of.

#19 ·
Given that the L-E is a cock-on-closing action, there should be no need to have to de-cock them - if you hold the trigger fully rearward as you close the bolt, the sear does not catch the cocking piece, and so the rifle never gets cocked in the first place. This is quite different to dry firing after closing and cocking the bolt.

#20 ·
I'm with Brad on this one, the first 10 pic's show the rifle cocked, safety not applied.
It's got nothing to do with a preference for action open, as this is not the case here, it is just a bad habit that needs to be corrected.
There are three safe ways to show the rifle...;) Either close the bolt, finger on trigger to ease the spring, leave the action open, or remove the bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.