Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, the topic arose concerning authentic No5 bayonets versus the current crop of RFI marked reproductions being offered. This is a comparrison of a 1946 Poole against an inexpensive reproduction I purchased a while back. I hope this helps people to know what things to look for.

Repro on top/Poole below...

Take notice of the difference in construction of a lesser grade steel on the repro. The shape of the pommel, the thickness of the crosspiece etc. The latch bolt of the repro is not recessed into the pommel and the grip screws...well....

(more to follow)

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reproduction is on the right....

Not really visible in the above photo, the latch bolt is totally exposed inside the mortise of the reproduction.

(more to follow)

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Repro is on the right. Notice the difference in construction in regard to quality.

The reproduction scabbard flanked by two authentic No5 scabbards....

The repro is lighter weight and has the appearance of cold bluing.

(more to follow)

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Repro on the right. Pay close attention to the domed mouthpiece screw and the taller frog stud....

This time the repro is on the LEFT (sorry 'bout that) The mouthpiece is obviously rough finished.
Also, the retaining springs are simply sheet metal tabs as opposed to forme spring steel in an original

I hope this all helps?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Excellent Post - thanks.
Quick and dirty way to tell - No oil hole (see second pic + others)

·
Copper Bullet member
9,124 Posts
Well, I'm about 99% sure mine is a repro, but it is different than the one pic'd. It has features of both the "Poole" and the repro. Please tell me what I have.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,801 Posts
Nice tutorial !!!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,124 Posts
JB, others, any thoughts on the bayonet I posted? Totally repro or some real parts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
It might be worth noting that the repros do not fit as nicely on the bayonet lug of the Jungle carbine. Some do fit OK, others don't and need to be modified to fit. My original No5 bayonet fits an original and repro No5, but the repro does not.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
6,006 Posts
Thankyou for the educational thread. Now I will know what to look for in my search for a number 5 bayonet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts