Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind brought this 4/53 No4Mk2(F) to me today to help him value. He bought it years ago and has had it in his gun safe - never fired it - and has decided to sell it. It is in very good condition with matching bolt and forestock. The magazine is not matching - any ideas on the white "Z" painted on both sides of the magazine? Rear sight is also marked F. I haven't spent a lot of time going over it looking for other markings, yet. Bore/barrel seem to be very clean - almost looks unfired.

Any ideas on an approximate value?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought 2 of these about 17 years ago from Century. They came with matching serial numbered blade bayonets with scabbards. At the time they were $120'ish . One is brand new and the other had slight wear. They may be in the Irish Contract serial number range that I read about somewhere. Mine don't have the Z, but the serials do match on the receiver, bolt, fore stock, magazine and bayonet. Prolly worth $250-$300, IMO.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
The serial number range for these Irish contract rifles is PF 309348 - PF 359347 which command a premium. Your friend's rifle looks nice and unaltered and I would guess closer to $350. Tell him to keep it. Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
any ideas on the white "Z" painted on both sides of the magazine?
Just a S.W.A.G. but could it be a reminder of the alignment of the magazine spring & follower? It looks more like that as a schematic/ memory jogger, than an actual letter "Z":)

·
Copper Bullet member
574 Posts
The serial number range for these Irish contract rifles is PF 309348 - PF 359347 which command a premium. Your friend's rifle looks nice and unaltered and I would guess closer to $350. Tell him to keep it. Regards, Rick.
Sold already. To me. ;)

It'll be awhile before I can get up to PA pick it up, though. Devious6 is my dad.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
Because those who don't do research think they might have been a part of the history of "Ireland's struggle against England". This proves they didn't do any homework at all.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,590 Posts
Because there was a rumour started some time ago that they were all mint rifles that had been sold to Ireland but never issued. I can raise the BS flag on that as I have no doubt my Irish contract rifle was issued to somebody. It is not even certain if all those in the serial range ever went to Ireland. To me they are less collectible than a Pakistani built No.4 Mk2 or a late No.4 Mk1 in with a PF serial.

·
Registered
20,630 Posts
MIne is a RAF contract but the guy who sold it to me was playing up the Irish Contract song & dance. I had been
looking for one for some time and my strategy was I just wanted one that is in mint condition. Contracts made no
difference to me.
As I recall the guy wanted $650 and I told him I was not Irish (no offense to anyone but I am not) and there was no
significance to me if it were a Irish Contract. I paid $500 out the door and I also recall, at the time, this price 2 yrs ago
was thought to be insanely high. Now... I think I scored okay. I just wanted a No4Mk2.

For those who think I paid too much, and I may have: I just got a No.5 unfired and mint , with bayonet for $350 so
I guess ones luck averages out at the end of the day.

And yes: both go to the range to be fired , my son first and then me.

·
Copper Bullet member
574 Posts
I was finally able to see this rifle in person. It's even better than I expected. Very lightly used, and not import marked at all (which surprised me). I'm debating whether I want to remove the Z from the magazine - not sure I can get it off without damaging the Suncorite. Anyone got a suggestion? I've tried light oil, it's not moving the paint.

Were the barrels serialed on these? I believe I read that they were, but the barrel on this rifle isn't. It is, however, marked F52 - 1952 Faz, which jives perfectly with the rifle's early '53 build date. I actually found an old oil-soaked cardboard shim inside the barrel band, so I wonder if this one's been apart since leaving service.

Anyway, some new pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.