Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i was wondering if it was possible to cut down a no4 mk2 stock to fit my jungle carbine beacuse the stock on my JC has been sanded down waaay to much and i am wanting to replace it without spending 100+ bucks on an original jungle carbine stock set.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I looked at my forearm,and it appears that its solid wood from the front down for 7 inches.from 7 inches down to 10 inches there is a hollow spot.Your cut would have to be in the first 7 inches,or its going to be very short.Gun Parts Corp lists a forearm for this rifle.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,778 Posts
no

Not without more work than its worth. The II uses a stock bolt, while the I uses a rivited strap, the II has more inletted wood, due to the apendages welded on the receiver to support the trigger group. #5 wood is available, some on one of the more famous auction sites right now. Expect to pay 75 to 150 for good wood for the No. 5
Good luck!

·
27,778 Posts
Mk 1

You could use Mk 1 wood ok, but when origional JC wood is available, why not use it?
It'll be worth more in the long run...

·
27,778 Posts
The

action would fit, but the upper barrel band is not in the same location, so that would be an issue. If you don't care what it looks like, have at it. Mk 1 forestock wood is relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Gotta clear up some stuff here.

The #1MK2 forestock will not convert easily to fit the #5MK1. Main reason is the #4MK2 has a completely different set up in the rear and trigger.

#4MK1 wood is cheaper, easier to find and fits perfectly when done right.

I would strongly recomend NOT even trying to use #4MK2 wood. It would be a big can of worms. They are not the same as the #4MK1.

#5MK1 rifles have the same receiver and trigger as #4MK1s but have lightening cuts, otherwise they are the same.
#4MK2 rifles have a different configuration for the trigger and the rear part of the forend.

A #4MK1 forestock will fit the action perfectly and the forend can be modified to fit.

The foreend needs to be cut off in the right place. The #5MK1 action will drop right into the #4MK1 wood. Use a real or repro handguard for a temp plate to cut the channel for the front band.

Try to get a new or near new #4MK1 forend to work with. Not a good idea to use oil soaked, or dirty, forends that may be soft from cosmo soaking.

The two pictured are new wood. No problem with the action bedding when using new wood.

If done right, it will look like the real deal. The expert will notice the small cut out on the right front by the bolt head on the wood. The REAL #5MK1 does not have this gap, because the metal was removed to lighten the action. #4MK1s have metal on the receiver in that area, therefore the cut out part on the wood.

Below are two pictures of #4MK1 forends partially converted for #5MK1 use. One is Walnut. All that they need is to have the handguard put on to measure where the band channel will have to be cut.

There is NOT enough difference in the lenght of the converted forends to be able to tell with the naked eye that they are not correct.

Numrich may or may not have forends that look near correct. I have bought several from them and some are nowhere near correct.

Any amature woodworker can make these conversions and I can send more details if needed.

I have bought several of these #4MK1 conversions from Pakistan and or Afghanistan. Sent to me by friends.

I then copied, how to do it. It takes a lot of sanding and you can get the much desired slim profile forend.

On a side note: Real #5MK1 wood is hard to find and expensive.

If the band channel is cut by someone that knows wood working, the #4MK1 forends will look very close to original. With the exception of the tiny gap near the bolt head on the right side, which most people never notice.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Here is a set from Numrich, bought years ago. They do on occasion have better wood, that looks more correct.

Anyone should be able to tell that this set is nowhere near correct.

Also, it should be noted that not all Real #5MK1 forends are the same lenght.

Notably the Indian refurbs have longer forends, and some have the "Ishy" screw.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,623 Posts
That would seem to be a terrible waste of a Mk2 fore end, especially as there is no way it will fit. I would just get another #5 stock set, but that is because I cannot work wood to save my life. I just have to look at the stuff a little sideways and it splits. I cringe everytime I have to work on a milsurp with stocks that require "some force" to remove them. I just know I am going to end up with a pilse of matchwood.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
It doesn't make sense to try to make a #4MK2 work. They are hard to find and won't work for conversion.

#4MK1 forends are easy to find and relatively cheap here in the states. There are several vendors that will sell you one. They are cheap enough to buy one or two.

A converted forend will work also if it doesn't have the band channel cut yet.

Most conversions are not compatible in length with the #5MK1.

They have absolutely no collector value, specially new ones.

CIA used to have lots for very cheap.

They also used to have #4MK2 new stocks in blonde stamped F 52 for under $30, but again, they will not work for #5MK1s.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Looking for a custom made stock set for your No.5 JC?
look up www.bearrarms.com, they carry nice stocks!!:cool:

The link takes us to the main page only. When I click on the Enfield products it just keeps going back to the main page.

Can't get info. or pictures on his Enfield wood.

Am I missing something, or is there a trick to getting to Enfield products?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.