Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, but I've been lurking for awhile.

I've managed to avoid the Enfield bug until yesterday when this little guy was sitting all by its lonesome in the corner of my LGS. It was in great shape so I took it home with me.

I'm curious as to its origin though. It doesn't appear to have the standard serial numbers of the English factories, nor does it have any markings that I've seen in my limited research. Any ideas?

I've attached 3 pictures. CAI imported it and stenciled No4 Mk 1 into the receiver (can't really see it with this shot). The band has a "P" with a horizontal line and a oval like tumor growing from it. The date looks like a "1943" but under magnification the left side of the "4" is missing and doesn't appear to be scrubbed, thereby making it a 1913??

Any help with identifying this lovely rifle would be great!

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I may be mistaken so I'm asking instead of offering. Didn't BSA use a 70k serial number block along the way?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The number has been restamped, so it won't relate to any of the factories.

In finish and detail the rifle looks like a Maltby. If so, then the number was probably "1 3576", and someone later mistook the "1" for a "7" - leading to the restamp.

What is the number on the back of the bolt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some time to get out the DSLR, so here's some higher res pics.

I think i agree with tlvaughn, the "P" I described looks more and more like a "B"?

The bolt is a mismatch, says "AC 9093"

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
AC 9093 would be a BSA bolt from about 1943. 1943 would be too late for a non-prefix Maltby. I'm wondering about Indian or Pakistani history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts