Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a No4 Mk1 FTR, with FTR-matched bolt. Has that black paint (suncorite?) on the metal parts and magazine, paint in good shape and clearly original since FTR marks are stencilled through the paint. Bore quite nice, stock very nice dark stain with the grooved rear handguard. Really a beautiful rifle with a dark walnut-like stock and good metal finish.

Paid $170, more than I normally would have, but I had promised the seller I'd buy one of the No4's he brought. I passed on a No4 Mk2 (FTR'd) that was in rougher shape (the one I had expected to buy).

Anyway, I figure once all the current No4's are gone, I'll feel better about the price. This is the one on which the rear sight won't lay all the way down.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Sounds like a fine rifle. I wouldn't feel bad at all about the price.

Did you ever get that sight to lay flat?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure that after shipping from one of the dealers who still have No4's I'm only about $20-30 high, which is offset by the chance to inspect it.

No, sight still doesn't lay flat all the way, even if the peep is backed off of the max bottom setting.

It seems that the adjustment dial knob hits the routed-out edge in the bridge.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Same sort of rifle here in Oz is going for around A$3-400 on average.
Unissued Irish contract (ie stocked in blonde timber) still in the grease, between A$600-1000 - if you can find them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bones, try filing off the amount needed to allow the sight to fit flat. I think what happens is that the tolerences when made where that tight. As this rifle could have originally fitted with the Mk2 sight no alteration would have been needed. But when re-fitted with the Mk1 some final finshing is needed. Just atke it off the back of the chager guide. Done similar to one here.
Cheers
NED

·
Registered
401 Posts
It doesn't matter what others think of the price you paid ,The main question is do YOU think you paid to much and if the answer is no then who cares.
In another few years people will most likely say you got it for a steal .

And anyways the first time you squeeeze the trigger and feel the sear give and it goes BOOM and feel the hug she gives you then it will be , What price was that again? Oh I forget pass another stripper clip will you!

Enjoy it

pugs...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
How far up did you run the sight? On the Maltby I was having the same problem with, I had to run her up to 300 yds or so before the thing would lay flat.

Para's got a good point about the possibility that a bit of judicious metal removal may be necessary.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tend to think I paid a bit too much, but in a year or two when all the remaining No4's are sold out of wholesaler inventories (or whenever that happens), it will seem like a good deal. It really is a beauty, too, otherwise I wouldn't have paid that much for a FTR'd No4 Mk1. The good thing is that I have satisfied a desire to add a few more Enfields, so I think I can relax for a while. Four No1's and three No4's should be enough!

Basically, I am of the opinion that if we are going to pick up nice Enfields for under $200, the window for doing so will be closed in the next year or two, except by luck.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Was this an older import, or one of the recent imports? I tend to pay more for the older ones, without the dot matrix markings, and without the new importer added serial number.

Seems like all the imports of late have not much finish and a brownish patina. That yours has suncorite makes me think it an older import. I love finding those old IAI, Alex VA marked Enfields, reminds me of what a great businessman ol' Sam Cummings was. :)

Either way you are likely OK on price, Enfields have skyrocketed at gun shows, they're seemingly cheaper on-line.

SlimTim

·
Gold Bullet member
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim, I don't have it here, but I'm pretty sure it is the older import mark under the muzzle.

Actually, it might even have the old "ENGLAND" mark on the socket ring.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Five years from now, ask yourself again if you paid too much.
I can remember buying No1Mk3's for $9.95 and No4's for $11.95. Those days are GONE!

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Lets put it in perspective. Around 1910 you could buy a 12pd Napoleon for $300 from Bannermans in New York. The Limber was another $250.
45-70 springfields were $1.25.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at the rifle tonight, I noticed that the FTR serial on the left rail matches the original socket serial (no big surprise). The bolt is electro "stenciled" to match, like many FTRs.

But... the forearm matches the original socket serial! So would they keep the original stock set with the rifle during FTR? The forearm serial looks to be original to the wood.

I sure like it. Oh, and the dial adjuster IS the culprit... I see where it just barely catches on the shelf above the half-round recess where it's supposed to lay. May take some very careful work with the dremel tool.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
FTR does not mean everything gets replaced. Only those things that are necessary to bring the rifle back to isue standard. If the stock was in good condition, they would have kept it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts