Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a few questions on the butt plates for the no.4.

Where both the steel and brass ones used? If so which marks or manufacturers used which?

Where they marked in any way, I can't find any on my 1950's Long Branch. I'm thinking about replacing the butt plate on it because it is very worn and has almost no blueing left on it. Apart from that the rest of the rifle is almost as new. I want it to look good but it was the original butt plate that came with it. I'm thinking if it's not marked I should replace it and if it is marked keep it so the rifle is more original.

Thoughts, opinions any one?

Also just as a side note the guy I bought it from got it in Canada in the early 50's, with a spike bayonet to go with it. The markings on this show it is late Long Branch made, would it off been issued with the rifle or was it just luck that the are the same period and manufacturers. It doesn't have any serial numbers on it though.

Cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
As near as I've ever been able to tell, the different types of buttplates were used interchangeably. The N. American made rifles are probably more likely to have the steel or alloy ones, but I have an unissued '43 Maltby with a Canadian made blackened steel buttplate. Some were marked, some not. You might want to remove it and give it a good thorough look on the back (butt) side.

Most of the new in wrap rifles I've seen or heard of come with an unnumbered bayonet...serial numbers would likely have been added at unit level. The above mentioned '43 Maltby came with a brand new Singer bayonet. Could just be luck of the draw, I suppose, since the rifle was not wrapped.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lachy, Long Branch started with brass, then MAZAK/ZAMAK alloy and finally steel late in WWII production. The steel butt-plates were used primarily in post war production, but left over alloy units can be found on some LB/CA rearsenals.

The steel butt-plates weren't externally marked (well, mine aren't), but have either a superimposed LB or an eight inside a circle on the spring.

Brian Dick, may have some NOS steel butt-plates.

Regards, Brad

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

But who is "Brian Dick".

cheers all,
Lachy

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Brian Dick is http://www.bdlltd.com

One of the very best dealers and Enfield mavens on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Guy's
I have 4 Long Branch Steel Butt plates all marked on the trap C^ Off No4 LB42 No7 LB 44.
Cheers

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you need and can't find a #4 buttplate. PM me I have one I'll sell you. Don't know if it has any markings on it, but I will look if you want it.

It is gray in color and I think Zink.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts