Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
of that...I have one for him that we werent sure about....

Whiterider I'am glad about the front band ,put i'am still on the prowl for a top handguard for a no5.
coop

The Digger holding the 303 Sergeant Gordon VC
Soldier in Korea.
Light Horse on the firing line
WW1 Australian Troops
WW2 Australian Troopers

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Great pics Coop

In the L/H photo I can see at least two unfinished scalloped fore ends for unfitted volley sights. And also the WWII Troopers, are they part of the Nortern Australia Observer Unit, otherwise known as "Curtins Cowboys" (forerunner to the modern day NORFORCE)?

·
Registered
385 Posts
In the L/H photo I can see at least two unfinished scalloped fore ends for unfitted volley sights. And also the WWII Troopers, are they part of the Nortern Australia Observer Unit, otherwise known as "Curtins Cowboys" (forerunner to the modern day NORFORCE)?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The late father of a real good mate of mine (and Lithy's) was a member of that Unit. Had some interesting tales to tell. I think that they were also known as the "Knackeroos".

·
Registered
385 Posts
The late father of a real good mate of mine (and Lithy's) was a member of that Unit. Had some interesting tales to tell. I think that they were also known as the "Knackeroos".

HI Wagga found a photo of Troopers with their names.
Cpl H R Woods
Cpl Davis
Cpl Connors
Cpl Davoren
Cpl Templeton
Pte Wilson
Pte Roddick
Pte Galli
On the ration and mail buggy
Lance/ CplKenyon and Captain Fleeting

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The Curtin's Cowboys handle came about partly due to their practice of mustering cleanskins in remote areas and branding them with the broad arrow, therefore ensuring a reliable food source later down the track.

After all, who is going to argue ownership of a beast that has the govt. broad arrow brand?

That was how Ted told the story to me.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts