Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a long hiatus from collecting Commonwealth guns,I made a gallant comeback last week.She's a 1917 vintage III*,all marks present and accounted for,stock was oiled a few times but no sanding/reshaping apparent.No FTR indication either,and a near flawless bore.Shot a solid 3" 10 shot group at 100 yds also w/ Rem commercial.Bayo is a 5-18 dated Wilkie,clean as well,and came w/the gun.The sling I added,it's a 1943 Savage marked,but better than none. Would this gun be better equipped with a leather type sling? Pics... View attachment 6456

View attachment 6789

View attachment 6790

View attachment 6791

View attachment 6792

View attachment 6793

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Web sling would be a lot more likely, although either will do.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Almost certainly an RSF. Digging around, it seems that 11th Bn. RSF was attached to 178 Bde. of the 59th Div in 1918.

Very interesting piece, looks unmessed with from first issue.

Wish my Seaforths' rifle was in as nice shape.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's RSF,,Royal Scots Fusiliers,as the last poster correctly noted.I tried to flip the disk over to ascertain if it was marked on the reverse,but it was swollen into the inlay,good sign I suppose.No FTR marks observed,and the finish looks un-messed with,a hard thing to find in a sea of reworks these days.Man she shoots sweet! I can't believe the bore is still so minty after almost a hundred years of corrosive fodder,good cleaning hygiene I suppose.Barrel# matches also.Any history behind this outfit? Too lazy to Google it,heh....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very nice...as to the sling...I personally go with a leather sling on anything from WWI and Web sling on any rifle from after that era...I just think it looks more classic. But like I said it's a personal thing.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see a few leather slings around with what "appears" to be correct WW1 era markings and guaranteed to be authentic,in the $50+ range,but I'm sure they are probably pipe dreams,as the survival/FTR rate on these must be considered.I may just put a 1917-18 dated web model(more easily found) on her and leave it be.THEN I can justify buying a Savage #4 to utilize that nice '43 sling....if the miss'es can comprehend that one!:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMA has some nice orginals and repos in leather...I would offer to take that Savage one off your hands to say you trouble with the missus, but mines a '42 and it just wouldn't look right...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts