Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I picked up an LSA SHT LE III dated 1916.

I have a few questions about it as I'm new to Enfields.

1. It appears to have had two white stripes of paint on it at one time, one on the butt, the other on the fore end near the sling loop. What was that for?

2. It has a brass disk on the butt that reads "1051" over "2230".. again whats that?

The bolt/mag don't match but who cares, I picked this one up and it slapped me in the face and made me sing "Green Fields of France" to myself.

It doesn't have the mag cut off, or the volley sights so I guess it was re-done?

One last question, the shop now has an excellent + 1912 dated Enfield with volley sights and mag cut off. It's all matching and the stock looks like a commercial oil job but it's original and has a big stock disk. Asking price is $200..... should I sell blood to get it?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
I would buy the 1912 if you can raise the money , or trade the 1916 for it.

If you don't go for it, send me the shops number.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
I would buy the 1912 if you can raise the money , or trade the 1916 for it.

If you don't go for it, send me the shops number.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I would also be all over that 1912, although I'm a bit curious as to what constitutes a "big" stock disk.

The white stripes on the 1916 would worry me a bit, as that could mean a drill rifle. Any "DP" stampings on it?

Normally, by 1916 the cutoff and volley sights were no longer being installed, but LSA kept producing MkIIIs until 1918.

Hard to tell about the numbers on the disk without seeing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no "DP" marks that i can see, and I've already shot this rifle several times with no problems. The white paint was stripped off at one point. and the "Big stock disk" on the 1912 is about twice the size of the one on my 1916. It says something along the lines of "FED London"

I will try to put the 1912 on layaway as I can't bring myself to part with the 1916, something about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts