Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm now officially on the mil-surp sobriety wagon, went on a final binge last week. Got this Chilean Modelo 1912 Steyr Mauser.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Buy Used Guns!!

If you only buy used guns, which aren't new, then you haven't defied SWMBO.

Bill

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thanks for all the support, but you are all looking at this wrong.

If I fall of the wagon, "she who must be obeyed" has promised me that all my mil surps will be sold at the "Calfed Estate Sale" shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got very same rifle and boy is it a shooter. Next to my Swiss it is the most accurate on all my military rifles. I love the way it feels too.
8, thanks for the info. My son and I shoot my rifles at a "military silhouette match". "As issued" military rifles, 50 years old or older at chicken, pig, turkey and ram silhouettes at ranges of 200 to 500 meters. We usually shoot it with Swiss rifles, but have used Swedish and Persian Mausers a time or two. Always like to try something different, so may give it a whirl.

CF.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
Some modest success in adding a few "prizes" to the collection this year converted the wife to a believer when she earned an appreciation for the monetary value of the collection. At least that has been growing at a substantial rate as opposed to the 401K which has been steadily going down the toilet.
No gripes or complaints anymore! In fact, made the mistake of taking her along to a gun show and it was all I could do to restrain her from taking out her checkbook!
She don't shoot or even handle the guns but appreciates their value as much as her blings. Of course, it helps to grease the gears with a new diamond something to accompany any new gun purchase...

·
Registered
55 Posts
7 mm mauser

Your Chileano is in 7 x 57 right? if so try this pet load, Speer 145gr SPBT over 49 gr IMR 4350. my '08 Brazilian Mauser three shot groups could be covered by your thumb nail at 100 yards, my best friend bagged a 6x6 bull Elk with it shooting a Nosler Partition 150 gr at 225 yards great gun I love the long Mausers.

·
Silver Bullet Member
885 Posts
Calfed if you made a promise not to buy anything in 09, why is it I see your name in almost every proxibid auction that has a low priced milsurp? I'm not hating on you for it but it seems like you are setting yourself up for disaster with the wife. If you have won 5% of the auctions I've seen you bidding on over the past year, you must have over 100 rifles. Either way good luck and don't let the wife keep you down on a good deal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I promised MYSELF I would not buy as many guns this year as last year. I went totally hogwild in 2008, but I'm already up to 3 so far this year. Another Golani, Tula SKS unfired for $300, and a $500 mint Inland M1 Carbine (although bore is a bit frosty).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Since I'm now officially on the mil-surp sobriety wagon,
We all have the same problems with spousal resistence (sigh).

I got around the problem by promising "not to put any more money into my collection". So as long as I sell something to pay for a new purchase - there's no problems. I tend to get bored with rifles after I've had them for a while so it works out fine for me. I just have to decide if I like the new one more than something else I'm prepared to sacrifice. Works for me..

·
Copper Bullet member
2,045 Posts
I've had a great run for 10 years or so.
(I've been in the "Gun-A-Month Club" before)
Now we're just focused on getting out of debt.
Anything 'new' comes from the sale / trade
of 'less-loved' items.

Nice one CalFred!
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.