Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is no longer an active auction that i can find, i'll ask now: Did anyone else see the No I Mk VI on GB recently? A fellow tennessean had one posted several times. It had the wrong wood and was missing the safety and cut off. I bid it up as far as I could afford, but didn't hit the reserve. He later put a buy it now of $6K on it. I don't know if he got it, but the auction is gone now. $6K seems high to me even for a pristine all matching, all correct rifle. Is it just me or were his expectations a bit high?

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,008 Posts
Well, with 1,025 produced, and less than 30 known in the US of A, it is a simple supply and demand equation.
I remember speaking to a friend about that auction. It did sell, as I recall, for that amount.
There are a couple of well known sales that went for a little more than one grand, because they had significant issues.
I passed on a chance for one at $1,200.00. (Didn't want to be greedy, you know!) haha.

TLVaughn, what do you remember about that GB auction?

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
435 Posts
The first time I came across the rifle on GB was January 14 and it was relisted 5 times after that. The first posting had a starting bid of $200.00 with an undisclosed Reserve. There were 14 bids on the first listing that made it all the way up to $3,300.00 (I thought the Seller should've jumped on this price). The next listing was the same but only made it to $951.00, followed by $767.00. At this point, it changed to a starting bid of $500.00 with the BIN option of $6,000.00. The next three listing did not get a single bid. The Seller also posted on several other sites, but did not get any significant offers, the highest I came across was for $500.00, the starting bid.

As far as value, it depends on the market and the buyer. Obviously there was a buyer that thought it was worth $3,300, but the Seller thought it was worth more.

As far as the rifle, from what I recall, there was not much original to the rifle except the action body, replacement wood, cocking piece, back sight, and front sight protector, as well as the safety and ejector screw missing.

With all of this said, like limpetmine stated, there were only a 1,025 manufactured and sounds like only 30 known to be in the States. Many collectors would love to have one in their collection.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,306 Posts
I held one several years ago in a shop and did not realize it was a No1MKVI. Someone else got it for $150. It had been to India and had all the wrong parts but it was a No1MKVI. Kicked myself for several years.

·
29,008 Posts
TLV thank you for the correction on that auction information.

There was the one I passed on....do you remember that one?

The sticky lists the ones of owners that are aware of the list, and willing to post it. There really is no way to know how many exist. But they are rare as hens teeth.

Somewhere I have a link to a web site that list every military gun in the world (almost), with respective rarity and cost.. IIRC the No VI was around that 6k number. I may crank up the laptop and look.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I could swear that guy posted the rifle on here prior to first listing on GB? He didn't know anything about it and was fishing for a value on it. I watched it as well and was surprised that the high bid didn't touch the reserve, then I was shocked to see the bin price later.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
I have one I restored from a sporter. It is a correct action, bolt and cocking piece with all early Fazakerly bits. Most of the ones one sees that come up for sale are like that, it seems the Fazakerly reworked a number of the No 1 MK VI actions in 1941. These rifles seem to have no other Enfield marked bits but the action bolt and cocking piece. I think though of lesser value these rifles are fairly rare, far less common then the No 4 T rifle. These rifles when complete seem to sell for around 2 grand.

The true No 1 MK VI with complete early wood and bands, with all Enfield markings complete, including the rear sight is very rare and would draw a much higher premium. I would guess a 4 to 5 thousand price would not be out of the ball park, if the rifle was correct in every way and not a restoration of some sort.

·
29,008 Posts
Fritz,
I can't disagree. You have a pretty good synopses there.
limpetmine

I have one I restored from a sporter. It is a correct action, bolt and cocking piece with all early Fazakerly bits. Most of the ones one sees that come up for sale are like that, it seems the Fazakerly reworked a number of the No 1 MK VI actions in 1941. These rifles seem to have no other Enfield marked bits but the action bolt and cocking piece. I think though of lesser value these rifles are fairly rare, far less common then the No 4 T rifle. These rifles when complete seem to sell for around 2 grand.

The true No 1 MK VI with complete early wood and bands, with all Enfield markings complete, including the rear sight is very rare and would draw a much higher premium. I would guess a 4 to 5 thousand price would not be out of the ball park, if the rifle was correct in every way and not a restoration of some sort.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I agree that the market decides the price, but i thought 1-2K for that particular rifle, with all the missing and altered parts. I was the $951 bid btw. All i could throw in a the time :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.