Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Went back to the gunshow today to meet a friend and traded for this.

Yes, I know the lug is gone, but the rifle is beautiful and the lug is replaceable.

So, question is: where can I grab an original flash hider without selling a body part?馃ぃ

I found two more rifles with this finish on Gunbroker and very close in serials and gotta say I love the honey color.

Registered
Sir,
There are many threads if you hit Research and hunt for information on replacing that flash hider. The availability of
original (with bayonet lug) flash hiders is almost NIL. You can find repro flash hiders from the usual suspects..Ebay,Sarco, Gun Parts etc etc. The effort to remove your flash hider is difficult and problematic. Replacement pins is also dinosaur teeth to chase.

Here is what I'd offer at you: Consider this a long term project in which the hunt for parts is in Years. Eventually,
a barrel will service with flash hider and you can salvage out the hider.

For now, I'd just enjoy the No.5 as it is....truly a nice one you have and very find condition. If that can't happen, the
repro flash hider route is immediately at hand to pursue. Just don't underestimate the difficulty removing the lugless
flash hider. Do the Research and find out comments and insights of others who have done this in the past. Just know its a Royal Pain In The Neck.

Rather amazed no one posted to this thread for days. Seems perhaps we've lost a lot of Enfield members to this forum when the format changed by the site ownership. Must admit I find the new format irritating but its reality so I'll adjust.

Registered
If you'll accept the big congrats from a Brit Enfield novice, I'm offering with such "response"! It's really great! I have one original - wish it was an "minty" as yours! That and a couple of Bubba specials resulting. All several bought in another era when prices were "reasonable" :)!
Hope you get your 'pound of flash' acquired & installed OK!
A really awesome carbine there!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Registered
Too bad about the flash hider, it's a very nice rifle otherwise! Some of the late ones had really lovely wood like yours (my friend has one as well). Looks a little shiny, but I'm guessing someone oiled it for show.

Registered

Registered
I love the new format.

OP, I sympathize with the loss of your lug, and I agree with @milprileb: swapping out that flash hider is a PITA.

But.

I look at it this way, in my silver-lining mode: the No 5 accessory you're least likely to be able to find for decent money is the bayonet (took me almost 25 years). So if all else is equal, the hit you take from the missing lug is minimal in a way.

I get it, though.

I'm intrigued by the two-tone buttstock. No idea what's up with that.

Registered
Look at it this way. The lopping of the lug could be considered part of the rifles history. An evil, vile, unfortunate part of history but a known history when it comes to No5 rifles.
Some governments required the demilitarization of surplus arms on the open market. Losing the bayonet lug was one of the methods.
So take comfort in knowing you don't havea nasty assault rifle which might sneak out at night to hurt someone. :)

At least it wasn't a total Bubba job where the cone was cut off too. Your rifle still looks the part. If I were riding by with dust in my eyes I would never notice the lug is missing.

Registered
Didn't some country lop off the bayonet lugs on their police rifles or something?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I almost hate to ask, but is the dark line going right & down to just under the tie plate a grain pattern, a trick of the light or a big crack?
https://www.gunboards.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.gunboards.com/attachments/20200926_133659-jpg.3744905/
The line is an old scratch. If you look at the receiver ring, it crosses it and continues onto the butt.

It is under both finishes so probably got there before leaving Fazakerly.

Registered
Didn't some country lop off the bayonet lugs on their police rifles or something?
Yup - After WW2 in Germany civilians were not allowed to own military rifles, one definition of it being a military rifle was that it could have a bayonet attached.

'Lop-it-off' and its no longer a military rifle.

Reactions: BigCountry85
1 - 13 of 13 Posts