Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am looking to buy a no5 barreled receiver. I found these. Are they intact as far as you can tell. Early on I got bit by a short no1. Thank you

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Why not ask the seller what length the barrels are, and then compare them to known 'good ones' ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why not ask the seller what length the barrels are, and then compare them to known 'good ones' ?
Absolutely true. From my working on my own No5 Mk1 they appear to be correct. Scallops on the chamber area and evidence of the taper pins holding the flash hider on at the muzzle end. I.m sure there are other details others can pick out. But as the quote indicates ask!

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
No surprise really. If they were good the odds are high they wouldnt have been stripped to bare bones in the first place. Either the receiver is crap, the bore is totally FUBAR, or both.
Paperweight class./ RTI scrap pile salvage etc.

If building a model for display, make sure to de-act so it doesn't go back out on the market as a danger later on.

If building a shooter, then buying a sporterized No5 (even with the flash cone and lug cut off) would be a better source for a sound foundation.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
APEX has a few #5 barrels awaiting photo's and listings.
They were in all the material that we purchased from the Springfield Sporters warehouses.
I noted one where the dimensions of the flash hider were undersized, so I expect that came out of Pakistan.
I remember when S.S. had those guns in their racks at the shop, each one unique.

Richard

·
Registered
18,653 Posts
If I ran across those barrels, I'd be thinking of making a floor lamp.

If I saw those on RTI web site, I'm sure they'd be listed as Premium Select Grade as found in Eritrea . You pay more but you get so much more in the end...like a bent barrel.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
If I ran across those barrels, I'd be thinking of making a floor lamp.

If I saw those on RTI web site, I'm sure they'd be listed as Premium Select Grade as found in Eritrea . You pay more but you get so much more in the end...like a bent barrel.
You are obviously not aware of the very VERY rare variant that was made for shooting whilst hiding behind a tree.
They saw the German Krummlauf, and the American M3 adaption and thought 'thats a good idea lets have a go at it'.

And a video of it :

·
Registered
18,653 Posts
Alan, I am very well aware of the fact America is a Nation of Riflemen. I see that on the range all the time by those shooting all the way to 25 yds and doing poorly. No doubt, we have a massive epidemic of bent barrels !!

Some of those barrels are indeed bent, almost without exception, the floor under urinals is wet. They can aim but can't hit.

"This is my rifle and this is my gun" may be a fact but accuracy today is extinct.

·
Registered
13,444 Posts
Not completely, but I agree its dying a long, slow, horrible death.

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
443 Posts
Apex gun parts don't sell outside the US of A, so to stop having to constantly say "no" to those of us outside the country wanting to buy stuff we have had Access Denied to the website. At least that's the reason explained to me some time back. It is disappointing to not even be allowed to look in the lolly shop window :cry:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
We do have some rare parts that will be offered thru E-Bay, and do list some things on GunBroker.
Your country IP's are not blocked on those sites.

Unfortunately due to site security we block overseas IP addresses.
Lots of "junior" hackers in this world and not everyone appreciates sellers of gun parts.

Richard

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
For those who are unable to see the barrel offered, a couple points of interest.
1: It bears one of the earlier Century import markings from back when US importers tried to hide the markings. For the sake of avoiding defacement for collectors.
A spot scrubbed below the wood and import info etched onto the steel. These have mostly been cold blued over to hide the spot even more. Then to be sold later as "NO IMPORT MARKINGS!"

2: The market has surely changed. Years ago I sold a complete No5 for the same price as that barrel will fetch now. Back then I came out ahead on the deal. Today it would be considered stolen from me. :cool:

Seriously. The market has changed that much, and how often do you see a non- sporterized tube on the loose?
It would be nice if the import mark photo could be posted here as a reference.
hint hint

·
Registered
18,653 Posts
JB, the market has indeed changed and non sporterized Enfields less common to see.

However what that means is one has to hunt harder for a nice No.5 or any other Enfield, not snivel out and buy fecal grade examples recently imported. Buy right the first time pays off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts