Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am unsporterizing a Savage and I bought good nos forestock and hand gaurds. So the new forestock is a very tight fit and I removed the front sight base to make it a little easier. I almost have the forestock all the way on, I think I will need to remove some material to get it all the way on, but the problem is there is no clearance between the end of the stock and the back of the sight base. These wernt made it different sizes like butt stocks were they? That would make no sense. Heres pics with my other Savage for comparison.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Nope but there was individual fitting involved.
Just remember that the draws, center bolt hole & front end all need to be set to work together. A definite case of measure twice, cut once.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
No, the front end of the butt stock.
Draws will probably need chiselling. I know of no way to get sandpaper in there.
Don't forget the hole for the main bolt ("King Screw") either! & the magazine well.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Reading this makes me assume that Enfield parts (depending on the model of rifle) are not interchangeable without modifications?
Absolutely correct.
Enfield parts are not interchangable and are not 'plug & play'.
Parts need 'FITTING' as in work needs doing to make them fit correctly.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
So I am unsporterizing a Savage and I bought good nos forestock and hand gaurds. So the new forestock is a very tight fit and I removed the front sight base to make it a little easier. I almost have the forestock all the way on, I think I will need to remove some material to get it all the way on, but the problem is there is no clearance between the end of the stock and the back of the sight base. These wernt made it different sizes like butt stocks were they? That would make no sense. Heres pics with my other Savage for comparison.
If it is any help I have several pages of instructions on fitting the furniture to a No4 rifle.
It was written by Peter Laidler the UK's most senior amourer who actually worked on them, he has also written severl books on the Lee Enfield.

I can post them here, or, email them to you if you message me your email address.

Your choice.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is any help I have several pages of instructions on fitting the furniture to a No4 rifle.
It was written by Peter Laidler the UK's most senior amourer who actually worked on them, he has also written severl books on the Lee Enfield.

I can post them here, or, email them to you if you message me your email address.

Your choice.
Sent you my email and thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,090 Posts

Your choice.

would be nice if it was in the stickies,

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I wouldn't touch the fit at the rear to try and solve a problem at the nose-cap. From your photo it appears the nosecap may have been installed less than perfectly on the tip of the forend? I've had a couple where the metal nose-cap interfered with the sight base and I simply filed off a bit of the end. The metal is fairly thick and I was able to eliminate the problem.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't touch the fit at the rear to try and solve a problem at the nose-cap. From your photo it appears the nosecap may have been installed less than perfectly on the tip of the forend? I've had a couple where the metal nose-cap interfered with the sight base and I simply filed off a bit of the end. The metal is fairly thick and I was able to eliminate the problem.

Ruprecht
Yes, I may have to do that. Even after I remove some wood to get a good fit at the draws I dont think it will be enough to move the fore stock back to clear the front sight. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.