Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just read a enfield sniper post in the sniper forum and found it quite interesting.I'm curious if somebody can help me understand more about the scope pictured. I haven't seen too many with the brass shroud in the back. Optics are perfect and look as if they're new.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,601 Posts
Don't polish it up!!!!
Designed as a scope for the Bren machine gun, it was ready for production with no use. The MOD determined that it WOULD be the scope for the British sniper rifle, and it was a good one. Rugged, tough, accurate, always mounted to point of aim.
First version was the Mk I, up through the Mk 3. There were waterproofed versions marked in colored marker, white and red, IIRC, and special "bloomed" lenses.
A great sniper scope that has stood the test of time.

The brass shroud on the back is an adjustable eye shade. Not used on Mk II's. Seems to cut the forehead a lot.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This is matched 100% to a matching No 4T, 1944 which is in just as good shape along with box. Any idea why they would continue making Mk1 in 44? Can I ask approximate valuation?

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Not sure about value though it is very high. One thing to be cautious about, is making adjustments to the scope. Dried grease on the inside could lead to breakage of internal parts.
There are two people who are qualified to overhaul these scopes. One in the U.K. and one on this side of the pond, though I don't remember the how to contact them. No doubt someone else on the forum can supply that information.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
There are two people who are qualified to overhaul these scopes. One in the U.K. and one on this side of the pond, though I don't remember the how to contact them. No doubt someone else on the forum can supply that information.
The one on this side of the pond is in Canada, and I had him repair my No.32 Mk.3 scope about two years ago (it had a bent spindle in the elevation turret due to it being forced after it had tied up). When the scope came back, the turret appeared and worked as-new. I recommend him and his work very highly.

I hesitate to mention his name here, but he does occasionally post on these boards.

To protect his privacy, I will give you his Gunboards handle so you can PM him, if you PM me first.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have not shot this but maybe five different times. The scope for the last 20 years has been in a humid free climate controlled environment.it has functioned properly and has never had any difficulty in operation. since it has been 100 percent 0ed in, I have had no reason to fiddle with it. the gun is a serious Tac driver. do I really need to have it overhauled?

again, I'm curious why this early version of the scope what have been made in 1944? also, any thoughts on valuation would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Any sniper rilfe or scope was desperately needed in both WW1 and WW2. The enormous need and heavy attrition of equipment meant that usable equipment would be used (and reused) if available. For example, a large number of P18 scoped rifles were issued during WW2 for these reasons, as used by Australian forces in every theatre they served in.

·
Registered
457 Posts
William Watson & Son, makers of the No. 32 Mk I and II scopes were badly damaged during the Blitz by German bombers, thus their contract for Mk I scopes were delayed until repairs were made. This is why there is 1943 and 1944 dated Mk I scope's in the 14,000 range; they were contracted to make Mk I scopes so they did, even though the Mk III scope was soon to be made at other companies. You are fortunate to have a matching example with rifle, I have been searching for an example to add to my collection for a long time. If possible can you post pic's of the rifle, I would love to know the s/n range of the '44 BSA it is paired with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts