Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause a No. 1 to shoot 4" low at 25 yards? I have pretty good bedding contact at the required places...although I cannot seem to lower the body to the point that the recoil lug "bottoms out" so to speak. I have proper knox bedding and magazine front bedding. Muzzle cap is a perfect 10/2 and slides on easily.

Any thoughts?

·
Silver Bullet member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sight in

I was using a 25 yard rectangle as per the "manual". Hold was at the bottom of the rectangle. Groups were almost "1 holers" but about 4 inches low. At 1/2" per .015 of sight, you can see the problem. The rifle came with a " -0.15" front sight already ....and I filed this one to zero elevation.

Center band might be a problem as I "made" a spring to replace the lost one until another could be acquired. I can't imagine this causing the problem to this degree..

The trigger is HEAVY so I do not want to adjust it until I'm satisfied with the bedding.

Thanks for the help

·
Banned
904 Posts
No.1 undersighted...

You didnt mention your ammo Kivaari....the sights were regulated for Mk 7ammo...anything that shoots with a HIGHER velocity...(eg handloads with lighter bullets) will shoot LOWER at shorter ranges as they leave the (upwards recoiling) barrel sooner.

Sounds like the group is acceptable so bedding or other rifle adjustments may not be the answer.

·
Silver Bullet member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ammo

Ammo is HXP.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Please don't think I'm being a smartarse or doubting your ability, but is your sight picture correct?

The top of the blade should be level with the top of the rear sight and your sight focus should be on the foresight at the time of release.

Such a deviation with an acceptable group indicates a user problem to me.

·
Silver Bullet member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sight picture

I'm an experienced shooter; sight picture is correct. That's why this is such a weird situation.

Next range visit I will elimate possibilities, ie. first remove the nose cap and see, then the handguard will be removed using the nosecap, etc. I'll experiment with the inside band some.

I'm not going to waste all my HXP on this so I'll use Paki.

·
Banned
904 Posts
No.1 undersighted

Hi Kivaari

Im not sure what the zeroing instructions say but I dont think you ever said what you had the sight set on..200 yards....300??? or right down the bottom lowest position???

Perhaps if you have access to a longer range like 300 you could set your backsight for that distance and fire at a gong or plate or whatever with someone spotting shots through a scope for you....I've found this to be a betterway to get zero's than the 25 yard methods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts