Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was browsing through my copy of bayonet of Japan today, and noticed on page 147, the bayonets with markings for the NLF troops. this reminded me of a type 99 rifle i came across in my collection the other day. so i went to the gunroom to retrieve it. sure enough it has a marking exactly like those pictured on page 147 in that book. would that mean that my rifle has been issued to, and marked by the NLF?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,554 Posts
How about a picture? There are several markings on p 147.

Wasn't there a thread a couple weeks back on 99s with naval markings?

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not the best pic i know. i dismissed it earlier as a simple rack number. never really thought anything about it until i saw the bayonet markings in the book

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
The best answer to your question is, "Maybe so, maybe not!" Adds the two numbers together and it's close, very close to mutt's IQ!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Jarrod, it's my opinion that numbers over numbers/fractions might be NLF. Now lets all go & prove it! ;)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I have at least three T-99 Naval training rifles with buttstocks marked with one series of numbers over another set, so use may not have been exclusively NLF.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
2,363 Posts
I also think it is more a navy thing than just a SNLF thing. The navy seemed to really like marking their gear.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool! now heres the kicker. this is on a very late 35th series Toyo Kogyo rifle. stock is original to the rifle as screws are still staked. i guess the Navy was trying to get arms up until the very last days of the war!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,363 Posts
I still will stop short of declaring it absolutely Navy, but the connection is strong. You frequently see navy field gear paint marked with numbers, but not so much in the IJA. I would not be suprised to find the army forbid such markings, as the most marking we see on IJA gear is small name marks. I guess you can see such differences today. You guys in the USMC stencilled your names on everything, in the army we were discouraged such. Still it will be hard to prove such with the lack of information from the japanese side on such minute details.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,988 Posts
This marking is on my 10th series. Edokko once translated it as reading something like "port guard".

·
Silver Bullet member
2,363 Posts
Thats awesome Rob, here are 2 of mine. First one is an early 25th 16k and the second a later 7th 80k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts