Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As stated on another thread - they ain't Japanese made & dang ya have to have some parameters unless you've won the lottery. Still, If I ran across this for less than $500 I'd sing a different tune.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,156 Posts
If only they'd placed some Japanese markings on the receiver top, I bet the Type I would have become much more popular than it is.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
A certain gentleman from Jareth's home state, the owner of a mum stamp, peddled an "I" with a mum. Last I heard it was in a West Coast collection.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Rob, mine is even nicer! Stock is light with no stain. I've seen a few like mine & I prefer it to the dense dark stained examples.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,605 Posts
Nice one. Mine is about the same but missing the cleaning rod. I don't care what the purists say about these, I find them interesting historically. Shoot great too.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,542 Posts
I have B1331 that came with a really nice laminated canvas sling (with unit markings). Is there anyone collecting data on these rifles?

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,732 Posts
I promised myself not to blather on about my Tipo I again, but it is even better looking, with less compression marks on a stock that has the sheen of fine furniture, and a deep plum colored blueing. Collectors may not want them simply because the idea of a Italian made Japanese rifle delivered by submarine is so weird, but that's why I wanted one. But I will never put marinara sauce on udon noodles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Many years ago(when you could get an Arisaka for $12.50) my brother-in laws and I would
go chuck hunting in upstate NY.One of them always used his Type I with only open sights,and he was good at both knowing were they were and shooting them.His Type 1
was stamped MADE IN ITALY across the top of the receiver ring,not the bridge,and when
he told me they had been taken from a Japanese submarine at the end of the war I gave
him a look of disbelief back then.A couple of years ago we went to Albany,NY for a wedding and he showed me the Type 1 and how he had sporterized it.By that time I was
now into Japanese weapons,something he couldn`t care less about,but to me it was a
shame.It`s still up there in Albany,but the only thing undisturbed is the receiver and bolt.

Charlie

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,253 Posts
Dawgs, ref your quote "nicest Type I I've ever seen." Please check mine out on page 147 MROJ. It is, for all intents and purposes, brand new with an unfinished stock. The bolt is a little dirty but still new. Wonder what that one would bring at auction. I've spent years trying to upgrade this stuff, and every now and then make it to the top. This is a prime example.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Fred, as I mentioned my example is in identical condition to yours. Do you have any theory as to the unfinished stocks? Did they occur later in production? Certain letter blocks or were the stocks then finished in Japan?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fred, you're right of course. I should have said one of the nicest :)
Now, Jareth's rifle is pure hearsay. I'm sure it's as nice as he "says" it is ;)

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,253 Posts
Fred, as I mentioned my example is in identical condition to yours. Do you have any theory as to the unfinished stocks? Did they occur later in production? Certain letter blocks or were the stocks then finished in Japan?
Jareth, Beretta officials told me all Type I's were shipped to Japan with stocks unfinished. Yours and mine were apparently never finished after arrival in Japan. Mine shows the roughness and natural aging of unfinished wood. I have seen at the shows examples that have been sanded in an effort to return the stock to the original config, and that is pretty easy to spot.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
That was a nice rig. I have had a couple that were darn near mint and the guys are right-they just dont seem to be all that appreciated. Mine had a canvas sling on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts