Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from a friend who works for a major gun shop, who was visiting another gun shop and saw something I would be interested in. Gun was marked a M39 which my friend new enough to know was wrong. I looked it over and it was enough of a mixmatch, not only serial number but model numbers, it went home with me. Here is what I got; M27 barreled action, SY marked with [SA], in a spliced M27 stock. Nose cap is early M28 open style, stock inletted for popsicles but not present and wouldn't fit M28 nose cap. Stock appears to be a mix of different guns. Slot on buttstock filled and screw in swivel (M27) in place. Barrel, bolt and buttplate all have different serial numbers with a number on the action lined out.

My question is; is it a M27 with a M28 barrel or a M28 with a M27 stock? I wish this old gal could talk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It looks to be an M28 to me, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Its an M/28 in a M/27 stock. This is seen from time to time as the Finns used what they had on hand when refurbing rifles. The 27, 28 and 28/30 stocks are all interchangable between models.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Well sir, I like it! Looks like it has a lot of character! I wish I had those kinds of friends to ;)

And if you find issue with the stock, I do happen to have an M27 that would greatly benefit from that there stock too!! :D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,050 Posts
Got a call from a friend who works for a major gun shop, who was visiting another gun shop and saw something I would be interested in. Gun was marked a M39 which my friend new enough to know was wrong. I looked it over and it was enough of a mixmatch, not only serial number but model numbers, it went home with me. Here is what I got; M27 barreled action, SY marked with [SA], in a spliced M27 stock. Nose cap is early M28 open style, stock inletted for popsicles but not present and wouldn't fit M28 nose cap. Stock appears to be a mix of different guns. Slot on buttstock filled and screw in swivel (M27) in place. Barrel, bolt and buttplate all have different serial numbers with a number on the action lined out.

My question is; is it a M27 with a M28 barrel or a M28 with a M27 stock? I wish this old gal could talk.
It is a normal way the Finns made do ,leave it alone. You used to see a lot of such rifles before collectors started improving things.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Clearly it's in the wrong stock. Just disassemble, and send to me. I won't even charge you shipping either ;) That M27 stock would make my M27 look normal for the first time in who knows how long!

But in all seriousness, it's a fine looking rifle. Bet it will shoot well too!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tennessee Longhunter,

" Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of all things shooting" Bob Lee Swaggert in the movie Shooter.

That made me cry. Then I went and lit a candle by my TN flag:) Beautiful!

- M1917Ranger in East TN

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
The inletting on the nosecap is incomplete. This stock was not meant to have the updated nosecap. Id leave it as is which is the way they repaired it either in 1940 or after the war. The gun is a m/28 BTW.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems most agree with me that it is a M28 in war/post war replacement stock. I have prime examples of early Finns and wanted this one due to it's unique history/story showing the Finns attitude of using what on hand to make it work. For the offers of sending you the stock or sending me a nose piece, thanks but this ol gal is staying just as she is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts