Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
I just sent you an email asking where you took it but my guess was correct.

B-Square mount? At what distance?

I notice you didn't invite any of us over for moose burgers:mad:.

Welcome to the forum and keep up the good work.

Dutchman

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re moose

Dutch,

Got the big bull in Alaska, where I live. I was hunting from my cabin, near Talkeetna Alaska. It's a B-Square and Tasco 2.5. I have only scoped the rifle this year. In the early 1980s I purchased it from a Frankonia Jagd store in Germany for 120 Marks (about $42.00 at the time). They had 2 barrels full. I've taken deer, caribou, and moose.

approx a 70 yard shot to lungs and he trotted 50 afterwards, broke a rib upon entry. Notice my arm in a sling. That and several other injuries happened getting the moose out of the woods. The injuries prevented getting to kill a brown bear (giant grizzly) over the gut pile within a day or so afterwards. You may share the pics. I know most guys collect, but I like to use my rifle. I'm looking for an AG-42B front sight that will not cause high shots.
john

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,981 Posts
AG42b front sights

Springfield Sporters sells a set of 7 differant height front globe sights for the AG42b semi-auto rifle . They are original Swedish mfg. I believe you can buy one or the whole set . The price is cheap , as I recall . See :

www.ssporters.com

·
2,661 Posts
If someone can tell me what the tallest sight is I'll check to see if I have it. I have some new front sight inserts for the Ag42b.

Dutchman

·
6,263 Posts
Dutch,

Got the big bull in Alaska, where I live. I was hunting from my cabin, near Talkeetna Alaska.
Whew! I was gonna be upset if you had said Frostbite Falls, Minnesota. Thank God that Bullwinkle is safe. :)

SlimTim

·
2,661 Posts
Why aren't you using 160 gr round nose? Seems they'd produce much better penetration on such large game and its not like you're shooting much distance.

Dutchman - who's still thinking about moose roast & moose steaks.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,555 Posts
Sauteed Moose nose YUM~

I've only had Moose once, but it was at an impromtu pot luck dinner the evening before opening day of the Antelope season here in Calif. Several of us hunters were camped together and everybody brought some type of big game meat in his cooler. The wives cooked it all up. Deer, elk , javilina, wild boar and Moose. The Moose was the best of all the meats! That is one fine looking animal you have there. Glad you survived the pack out, Too bad about the griz, you can get him next year, you know where he lives! Not a bad little Moose rifle for $42! Congrats, Alaska6.5hunter

·
8,981 Posts
I have the set of seven front sight inserts . The tallest is +2.0 .

·
Registered
950 Posts
I took my M-96 out this year, but I did not come across a bull that seemed legal under the Kenai Peninsula restrictions (spike, fork, 50 inch spread or three brow tines on one side) Plus we have had a spat of pouching around here lately...
There has been a young bull on my property trying out his new antlers on my wifes new lawn furniture... He has hung out here for the last couple years, so I will leave him alone..

·
Silver Bullet member
2,086 Posts
Nice one 6.5AK

Float Plane
Brown bears, wolves, poachers and pet dogs and whords of rotund hunters on their 4 wheelers sure have done in the kenai's Moose. I am not the only resident of the region who believes that there is a substantial decline in the number of moose here on the Kenai in the last two years. I didn't even hunt this fall, probably never will again, at least on the Kenai unless there is a drawing permit to cut down the # of hunters. we need to thin out the dang brown bears if there is ever going to be a huntable moose population.
gil

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brown bears

Yea, Ain't that the truth concerning the brown bears. They have nearly killed off all of the moose and black bears in Unit 14B just like they did in Unit 16. Fish and Game are very slow to act because it is a political hot potatoe.

I spoke with the Fish and Game unit biologits and he told me that the sharp decline in moose was caused by bears. He encouraged me to petition the game board to do something. I sat in a tree a lot this spring / summer looking for a black bear, but only brown bear were around.....and a lot of them. I have a short cell phone video of one trying to get me. I remember when our trails were moose highways and while hunting we would stop to look at a bear track, now it is all bear tracks and we stop to look at a moose track.
I'll probably ask them open brown bear season with moose season, waive the tag fees, increase the bag limit and allow baiting. But still, the biologist says that it will take years to get the moose population back up. I plan to take a brown bear with a mil surp / collector rifle.

alaska6.5

·
8,981 Posts
First thing you need to check is the elevation sight . Is it set for the 139 grain pointed spitzer , or the 156 grain round nose bullet ? You can change from one load to another . Look 180 degrees for the 2nd bullet shape pictured on the dial .

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
re moose ....AG42B sights

Swede,

The elevation sight on my AG42B is set to the torped (spitzer). Suggestions????

To all asking about the moose with my 96:
It is obvious that all of you guys are much more knowledgeable than I am about the Swedish Rifles.

Bullet choice: (I do reload, but didn't have time). I mistakenly told the wrong bullet. I purchased a box of super cheap PMC 140gr Sierra HPBT and Federal Power Shok 140gr soft points. The PMCs touched holes on a prehunt target (B-Square mount). The Federal soft point is what I used because the PMC HP would not give good penetration. The $12.88 Federals grouped nicely also.
I'm open minded for good hunting loads, but don't want to suffer accuracy.

The M96 is a 1917 Gustaf, they were a dime a dozen when I was in the Air Force in Germany in the early 1980. I have a Jagdschiem (German hunting license) so I bought one, hunted with it there, and brought it home.... no import marks. Next will be a bear if state regulations will allow this small of a caliber. If not, I'll use my Gewehr 88, Danzig 1890 8mm that dad got me at 12 years old for $19.99 right out of NRA magazine.

·
8,981 Posts
AG42b front sights

What is the number stamped on your front sight ? The number should match on both the base & blade . The seven differant height front sights were used to adjust the zero of each rifle when manufactured . For example , I have 2 AG42b's , one marked +1.0 and the other +.5 . So , the only higher front sights are +1.5 and +2.0 . I do not know if they will be enough to drop your POI ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AG42

There is a plus sign with a minus sign under it and a "0" next to it.
Additionally, while cleaning the garage, I found a box of 6.5 ammo. The brass is stamped "Herter's" , and the bullet is the longest that I've ever seen. I'm not even sure where they came from, but someone must of hand loaded them.

alaska6.5

·
Registered
950 Posts
Good God , I grew up with the Herters catalog. They were great!

You could order pancake syurp, a Fajen rifle stock, a fishing pole kit, traps, reloading stuff and a good set of new clothes (Mens and womens stuff ) all in one order...

They were sorta like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Sportmans Guide, Sears and LL bean all rollled into one.

I would spend hours and hours going through that catalog reading every line.

Those might be 156 grain loads since Herters was importing that ammo back then. Before the 1968 gun control BS we could mail order rifles from them..

·
8,981 Posts
Your front sight is just a zero height ! You have not said how much to high your AG42b is shooting . Two inches or 10 inches ? The AG42b should hit dead on at 100 meters with factory ammo when the dial is set on 100 . Assuming your sight & base match . If you reload with the same factory specs , you should not need to change the sight .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts