Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a little Fiskars hatchet from Menard's last fall and have been using it for all sorts of little cutting jobs like clearing small brush and chopping kindling and smoker wood for my grill. This is a really nice little axe and I am so impressed with its cutting ability, I am going to get the camp axe to go with it. The thing chops through 1-2" treesin one swipe and holds an edge like a good knife. I love axes and hatchets. These are waaaaaayyyy better than the small axe and hatchet I have from Mexico. They work well, are True Tempers, but have MUCH softer steel that takes a great edge, but doesn't last.

I believe I paid about $22.00 for the hatchet. I still may get the Estwing Camp Axe that I have wanted since childhood also.

·
Administrator
17,990 Posts
Fiskers is known for their high quality. Some Gerber products are made by Fiskers for Gerber and are exactly the same as the Fiskers marked products. In particular the brush hook, hatchet and camp axe, and the folding saw. I keep looking at the brush hooks and the hatchets, with either name on them, and think I should get one to try it out. The problem is I have numerous machetes already, and I do the same thing with them as someone from up north does with a hatchet. The difference is what you grew up using.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Madeline is my little tomboy. She wants everything I have in my hands and would've been on that table in a matter of seconds... Maybe a 1 1/2" GREEN tree, but yeah, when it's sharp, and you get it at the right angle. Must be the narrow little blade on it that makes it hit so hard or something. I couldn't believe the cutting power myself, but it really chops. EJF, I also have an Ontario machete, which I like equally well. Both are handy for sure. I like the hatchet because it has a hammer on it for pounding in target stakes.

I am kind of thinking I will try to make that little plastic holder into a belt carrier somehow if I get time to rig something up.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While we are on the subject of tools, I also have a really nice "Jack" brand bow saw. This has been around since I lost the old one my dad had when I was about twelve. In the days before being trusted with a chainsaw, I cut a lot of firewood and trees up with one. The saw blades fit in somewhat like a hacksaw and are nearly razor sharp when new. Replacements are only a few dollars and last quite awhile. These will go through a lot of large stuff a lot quicker than a hatchet or axe, and you can cut yourself a nice pile in no time with it. Highly recommended.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alden, that Blunderbuss and boarding axe are lethal. Are they both functional and used? How does the beast kick? I always thought, if things really went south, a Flinter would be the best long term firearm in the sense that you can always find something to make it spark after primers and caps are long gone.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
A buddy of mine has the same hatchet only it says gerber on it ame thing different pakage. It is very shap holds a edge, and like andy said I have cut up to 1 1/2 box elder trees with it. Nice set of tools you have Alden, I would think twice about boarding a boat if someone was pointing both in my direction.

·
Registered
583 Posts
brush hook

brush hook or bill in various forms is the best for clearing brush that i have used and i have used knives, bowie knives, machetes, axes, and hatchets but the bill is the best. the long handle keeps your hands away from the briars and thorns, the curved blade will cut on either side, you can chop down small trees and have the reach of an axe, trimming branches way above your head w/out the wieght of an axe, AND George Silver rates the forest bill as the best polearm and weapon even better than a sword. no one is sure what a forest bill was but it probably had a longer pole on it as he said a hands breadth longer than you reached above your head was the perfect length for any polearm.
however it doesn't have the weight of an axe for larger trees

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
brush hook or bill in various forms is the best for clearing brush that i have used and i have used knives, bowie knives, machetes, axes, and hatchets but the bill is the best. the long handle keeps your hands away from the briars and thorns, the curved blade will cut on either side, you can chop down small trees and have the reach of an axe, trimming branches way above your head w/out the wieght of an axe, AND George Silver rates the forest bill as the best polearm and weapon even better than a sword. no one is sure what a forest bill was but it probably had a longer pole on it as he said a hands breadth longer than you reached above your head was the perfect length for any polearm.
however it doesn't have the weight of an axe for larger trees
This is what evolved into the Halbred, right?

·
Administrator
17,990 Posts
Halberds and poleaxes were used by infantry to dismount knights from their horses.
here's a copy of a wood carving depicting the fall of Charles the Bold at the hands of the Swiss in 1477, to show them in use. Note, the handles are square in shape rather than round. This prevented them from turning in the soldier's hands during use. Coincidentally, they are still standard issue to the Swiss Guard of the Vatican. Let's at least try to stay on topic though, can we?

Attachments

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Halberds and poleaxes were used by infantry to dismount knights from their horses.
here's a copy of a wood carving depicting the fall of Charles the Bold at the hands of the Swiss in 1477, to show them in use. Note, the handles are square in shape rather than round. This prevented them from turning in the soldier's hands during use. Coincidentally, they are still standard issue to the Swiss Guard of the Vatican. Let's at least try to stay on topic though, can we?
I've seen many of many types of hafts literaly around the world and wouldn't paint them all with a brush in any way. Pretty pic, but, that art is CENTURIES removed from the period: early 20th C.?

Alden

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Alden, that Blunderbuss and boarding axe are lethal. Are they both functional and used? How does the beast kick? I always thought, if things really went south, a Flinter would be the best long term firearm in the sense that you can always find something to make it spark after primers and caps are long gone.
The 'buss is really no more than any other smoothbore of an average caliber and tho the originals woulda taken a particularly large charge of powder and been heavy on the shot, I have always loaded it like a large pistol so no big thing. Sparks most of the time with blanks on 17th C. and 18th C. ships (yes, but not original ones) when it is damp out and on the water. Black powder is a sponge. The axe puts an odd, Jack-like, grin on one's face and always woulda worked on boards or boarders!
Alden

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, the thought of having an arm or leg lopped off would shrink anyones stuff. I used to have that poster in the largest size in the bar. I didn't know how the bore was on a Buss, it probably is a thicker barrel because of being Bronze and looks like a cannon. Cool stuff you have. Andy

·
Administrator
17,990 Posts
I've seen many of many types of hafts literaly around the world and wouldn't paint them all with a brush in any way. Pretty pic, but, that art is CENTURIES removed from the period: early 20th C.?

Alden
Alden, the original woodcarving was from the 15th or 16th century, unfortunately, I managed to keep the image but not the commentary about it from an old computer. If you enlarge the picture to its fullest, you can see not only the pole axes carried by the charging Swiss soldiers but a halberd (the hook) being carried by someone to their right.

Andy, sorry to have gone off topic on you. We've done a real hatchet job on your thread! (sorry about that too, couldn't help it.)
I agree that a hatchet is useful as a hammer as well as for cutting. I have a tomahawk that I use often at home as well as for reenacting and the poll is useful for tent spikes and I can hammer the hawk into logs to split them for the fire. That said, I still prefer a machete. It's not that you get what you pay for, my favorite Machete is made in Brazil by Tramontina and only cost me about $6.00 at a flea market. I use a file and a kitchen steel to sharpen it and it will easily shave the hair from your arm. The worst I've had was from the camping aisle at K-Mart or Wal-mart. What's the brand name on that stuff, "Camp Trails" or something like that. It wouldn't hold an edge and couldn't cut anything. I don't care for the Blackie Collins style with the knuckle guard because I bang my knuckles on the inside of the guard. Never tried one of the woodsman's Pal machetes with the brush hook on the back because they are too expensive but I have heard from someone who has one that he manages to nick himself with the hook every time he tries to use it and he considers it dangerous. Here's an article whose author feels as I do, except I favor the 18 inch blade as I find longer blades unwieldy. http://www.bugoutsurvival.com/2010/01/make-mine-machete.html
There are other threads on survival blades / tomahawks and machetes in the archive for anyone who cares to look for them.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,001 Posts
A show on the history channel showed the hatchet, and modern marines with them. Inpressive.<><dk

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Fudd;
I may be wrong but I'm pretty confident that is in no way a 15th or 16th C. artwork -- maybe a rendition of one a few centuries later. 17th C. de Gheyn below...

Regardless, you, and the folks, will appreciate a real modern, large, working, fascine knife -- a useful multi-purpose hand tool vs. a machete (I think I have an Ontario?) or hatchet. Fascine's sold separately.

Alden

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
American Camper is the POS Wal-Mart brand you are thinking of, Alan. No worries about hatcheting up the thread, I have been learning all kinds of fun trivia knowledge on this one. I will make a new thread on the small campfire/stove powered Percolator coffee pot we got as well. Great little piece.

On the subject of Tramontina, I always buy their kitchen knives at Goodwill and wherever I can find them if made in Brazil. We got a pot and pan set made in USA and it is sub-par. I would not hesitate to buy any Tramontina knife, though. Top notch stuff and hold a razor edge. My favorite boning knife for game as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts