Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the recent VGCA show while warking around I spotted this nice MAS36 in .22. I know you die-hard French collectors see them more than I BUT the last one I saw for sale was in 1968 at a Slidel Louisiana gun show . The one in 1968 was $150 , this one was $500 still not bad. In 1968 I passed on the first one because I and the seller did not have a .22 cartidge adapter. WELL guss what , I STILL have the same problem ..no adapter so if any one has a extra or knows of one for sale let me know please! AND a repro would be ok if it works.
Unknow for me in 1968 I was soon to be on my way to a show where I could get all the MAS 36's I wanted FREE , well ALMOST FREE ...we called it Viet NAM! I did bring back a VIET CONG copy but that is a story for another day!
BACK TO THE .22>>> The owner was breaking up a collection of training rifles and the MAS36 was the last one for sale!
Thought you all would like to know THE GOODIES ARE STILL OUT THERE TO BE FOUND!

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In response to orcmastiffs. I removed the handguard and front wood and found no markings on the bbl. Also there are no dates on the receiver. Maybe the very early ones were not dated?
Johnny G

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct Scotty, there is one.BUT, it is so light I missed it. All I can see with the glass is a S on the right. Stock does not look sanded.Any ideas on how to bring it out any?
jJohnny G

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Johnny G:

Too bad about the cartouche. I have some tricks, but I would have to see the condition of the finish before I could hazard a recommendation. Try a little "Howard's", as it may be easily removed, to see if any letter appear. It is most likely from August of 1941, as the 9XX and the 1,4XX are both September rifles, and production was at a low rate, (1,000 to 1,500 per month). I have also seen pictures taken with the light source at various angles, that when enhanced/'distorted', can give productive results.

It would be helpful, for reasons of the 'Mle 1936 Survey', to have more pictures anyway: From the right-hand side, the upper & middle bands, the receiver and bolt-cap, and from the top, the rear sight-base. This would confirm the new features which are documented in this series.

Wonderful, rare and unique; I am surprised that they do not command a price that is much more dear.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
I concur...often times with the cartouches, if you are able to make out even a few letters, the month can be extrapolated. I think currently your serial number would be a 1941, so the month is more important than deducing the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.