Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am curious ken . What's the actual game plan? Did the heat effect metal that any steel parts are in the repair process ? How did the heat affect the metal?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,962 Posts
I once had a MAK90 that was in a house fire, we put in new springs and then fired it with E German training rounds. It worked although I was always fearful of using std loads in it. I'd be tempted on that one to neutralize the rust, put in new springs and preserve it as it, although if really going for a shooter that ugly I'd buy a new WASR and do the mods more cosmetically since who knows how the metallurgy has been affected with that in in the fire.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,096 Posts
This would make a nice Somalian pirate clone type rifle.:)
Putting very much $$ into reworking a $550 WASR is kinda futile. IMHO
If the metal parts are not compromised a re-furniture, media blast and spray could be beneficial. Or actually do a BFPU look with some worn furniture etc.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,096 Posts
A house fire will mess with the heat treatment of the metal. I would not fire it as it may very well blow up. I guess the real question is how much do you value your life?
Ken is a certified smith and FFL and is capable of determining the safety of a firearm.
You are certainly entitled to an opinion., but it is not based on any first hand information or inspection. AFAIK. :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm just very curious as to what fire would do to the metals integrity and how to determine it ? I was offered a safe full of fire damaged rifles once but passed because of the fact I didn't know well enough to make the determination myself . Was only tempted because 3 G43 rifles were in the group of 6

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at the forearm and stock, they are still intact. It doesn't look like it got hot enough to mess with the heat treating. You have to heat something red hot to do that.
correct, the springs are still intact and haven't lost their zip, as far as the receiver goes, its no more "dangerous" than someones bent flat, ATF specs for silver soldering a brake on are, 1100 to 1200 degrees, at that temp it would burn the stock and handguards to a crip, if this gun showed up with the wood about gone from fire, i wouldn't touch it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.