Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired this Stevens 416 Military Trainer, US Property marked. Has target sight and heavy barrel. Stamped RRA (Red River Arsenal) and was bought by previous owner new in wrap. Wrap is with it still but it’s obviously been opened. Looks like a great rifle. Anyone have any experience with these? Don’t seem too common

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Many, many threads on these, scroll through the forum or try the search function.

Haven't ever read a thread of someone being dissatisfied with one.
I know I'm not.
Mine is a commercial version that surfaced at a LGS, price was initially high but as it started to collect dust the shop keeper started to get more reasonable.
Given that mine had "issues", he eventually dropped to what I considered a fair price and the deal was struck.
My "issues" were mostly the result of very long term storage with no maintenance, all the working parts were gummy with dried oil/grease, less than pristine finish on the barrel behind the front sight (from handling, no doubt) and a few missing minor parts (nothing critical and all easily found on line).
PDF versions of the manuals are on line, good to have as they describe all of the various adjustments that these have.

FWIW, mine really likes the Eley brand match ammo (some version of it) and will pretty much remove the X ring of a small bore target at 50 yards provided I hold up my end.
Due to cost restraints it generally gets fed regular standard velocity ammo, it does not like any HV stuff.

Enjoy!

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Nice rifle you have; I picked one up a year or so ago and really like it. They can be quite accurate with good ammo. I decided to put a vintage scope on it as my eyes are getting older. Let us know how it shoots!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.