Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last, I have found myself a Remington M91. It is minus a hand guard, but it's not uncommon for them not to have one. The bluing really looks good. Stock isn't too bad. Looks like someone shellac'd it some time ago. The sling hangers looks suspiciously Spanish. I'll let the pics do the talking. All that stuff in the pics near the end is all cleaned off. Action is nice and smooth. Only problem is the round isn't hitting the ejector, but I'm not worried I'll either replace it or get a new one. I'll just have to manually remove the spent case for the time being.

·
Copper Bullet member
406 Posts
Nice clear markings on that Remington. Handguards turn up periodically on the auction sites. Might try some of the sponsors too. I'm guessing the stock is walnut, can't really tell as my moniter doesn't reproduce colors too well, but the Remington buttplate and nosecap lead me to believe it might well be. Are there any stock cartouches visible? The sling hangers could be Balkan. Any import markings? That stock is in great shape for a Balkans import, usually they are beat to heck. To me that finish looks to be original, it's hard for me to tell just by pictures. Thanks for sharing.
PS- I was just reading another post about a Balkan import and I realized that most of them have had the imperial eagles scrubbed. The fact that yours are not and the good condition of the stock plus the sling swivels lend some creedence to the supposition that the rifle could have some Spanish history. Either that or some one could have just added the swivels at some time.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it's hard to say. I was looking at some different style sling hangers, and they really do look suspiciously Spanish. The stock looks to be walnut. But I have one other M91 stock that came off my 1905 Tula M91 that at one time was on a Remington, and it is not shellac'd like this one. I think the stock has been sanded and refinished at some point long ago, as there appears to be some shallow scratches across the sling slot escutcheons.

At this point, I am leaning away from any Balkan influence, as there are no Balkan stamps after the serial, or any other marks or stamps that might suggest Balkans at all. But, with these, you really can't rule anything out lol... No import marks, and the only stock cartouche is the round style, but only the outline of the circles can be seen. I can't make out any other writing. I was hoping I might be able to and it would be one of the "English Contract" cartouches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts