Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,095 Posts
As is hasn't been said yet. The so-called "tanker" models are nothing of the sort. (BTW we say "tankie", not tanker.) The Mk.1* was introduced to save on manufacturing, as was the Mk.1**. They have less parts but more importantly less machining. Additionally, they were issued to all arms, not just to the Royal Armoured Corps.

I suspect that the term (as was "Jungle Carbine"), and reason for, was coined by US importers in the 1950s in order to sell more guns. As has been said, that is also where the snub-nosed versions were bobbed.

· Registered
2,095 Posts
The ones I have are MK1 single action,Mk2 Tank with no hammer but modified to double action,and the stubby 2'' barrel modified post 1944 for a RAF aircrew contract.
RAF air crew carried standard revolvers, if they wished; there was no need for bobbed version. If such model existed it would need a designation so as not to be confused with the standard barrelled models and (as far as I know) Pistol Revolver No.2 Mk,1, Mk.1* and Mk.1** are the only models recorded.

BTW, I think that you have got your models mixed up. A Pistol, Revolver No.2 with no hammer spur is a Mk.1* or Mk.1**. (BTW, see my post above for the "tankers model" myth.)

· Registered
2,095 Posts
I agree. In fact I don't think that a) its been bobbed b) it is military revolver.

It look like a perfectly normal commercial Webley to me with a perfectly normal short barrel.

· Registered
2,095 Posts
I thought one of the UK holster models started as a shoulder holster, then were converted to belt?
Not that I have come across. The really low-slung cases (British Army speak for holster) started life belt-attached for the Patt.08 web equipment and the later Patt. version of that was also belt-attached.

· Registered
2,095 Posts
Here is a version made from a Webley with a hammer. Tom
A couple of points.

Unlike the Pistol Revolver No.2 Mk.1*/1** you don't get Webley "War Finish" Mk.IVs without hammer spurs.

As a War Finish model it would originally have had a five inch barrel. It was probably bobbed in the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.