Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
26,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m going to post a few pictures of one of the acquisitions of the year. It certainly has to be one of the more rare pieces that I own now. I believe this rifle has been through FTR In Canada. This has a CNo.4Mk3 sight, certainly a replacement sight. The receiver wears a uniform parkerization, and has a replacement bolt that is new. It has not been ground down and re-stamped. A 1941 rifle would have the button knob striker. Not the later war flat striker. The important thing to see is the V notch on the upper hand guard. This was only done in Canadian service, in the 1950s. The front sight protector is on backwards. The rifle has a patina and grime that indicates it has not been taken apart in many many years.
This has been a grail rifle of mine for decades.
It’s a nice match to my 0L79. Now the hunt for a three digit.

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
0L5!?!? That's pretty incredible, congratulations Limp!

Dumb question: when was the C Mk3 rear sight introduced?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Outstanding. I'm struggling for impressive adjectives as I don't wish to be censored...

👏👏👏👍

Strange that for an excellent, pristine refurbed rifle, the sight protector is on backwards...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
54,222 Posts
you hinted of this earlier in the year, or late last year,

congrats on the grail rifle!

·
26,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was quite thrilled when I learned of its existence.
It’s not without its flaws but it’s 80 years old and it’s remarkable that it exists at all. I wonder if another will show up?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm heading back home tonight and will get the cocking piece in the mail. What kind of rear sight would have been on it oriiginally?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What is the purpose of the V-notch, and why the Mk3 sight and not the Singer? I had a 1950s Long Branch that had the Mk3 sight from new it would seem and always wondered why.

·
26,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I’ll fix the front sight blades. Pondering a take down but that would lose me the grime that makes it so believable.
The Mk 1 sight would have been on this one. Was it in production at the time by Long Branch? Good question and an item to study. I’ll check my 0L79 for comparison.
The V notch keeps the top front handguard from moving.
The C Mk3 sight is correct for a 1949-1950 made Long Branch.
An early LB would have the button knob cocking piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts