Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up this last weekend for what I thought was a deal at $1900.

Bore is exc. Optics are VG+. Bolt matches. Scope and forestock are not matching.

Its my first Lee Enfield sniper so curious on the comments.

Now I just got to find a Jap sniper at a bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Argh, I want one of these SO BADLY, but they are nigh impossible to find around here. More pictures!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Who is going to clean the drool off my keyboard??

Wow!! That is a eautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing and I concur with the others.....more pictures, please!!

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No scope can or crate with it. That would have been asking too much. But no import marks.

Any pics particularly wanted???

Have'nt looked for reference books yet. Any details about it that can be pointed out?

Scope adjusdtment is smooth, and reticle moves as expected, Was there a key that locks the turrets after adjusting???

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Argh, I want one of these SO BADLY, but they are nigh impossible to find around here. More pictures!
That is real sad being your an Aussie. Curious what they sell for there? How does price and availibility compare with the Lithgow No1 MkIII* HT Sniper there?

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Nice score Tom. The shipping case is huge and heavy. Mine sits in the way, cost a fortune to ship and is just over rated IMO. The scope can is expensive and what the heck are you gonna do with it. Again, mine sits. You got the important pieces.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice score Tom. The shipping case is huge and heavy. Mine sits in the way, cost a fortune to ship and is just over rated IMO. The scope can is expensive and what the heck are you gonna do with it. Again, mine sits. You got the important pieces.
Dont think I'll miss those either. I would have liked some lens covers, and any specific tools issued with it.

All things considered - I'm very happy.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Dont think I'll miss those either. I would have liked some lens covers, and any specific tools issued with it.

All things considered - I'm very happy.
The Mk III scopes did not require special tools to zero the scope adjustment drums. The scope carrying can or rigid canvas fabric case (there were at least three styles) are nice accessories - much better than the cheesy bag the US had. But if you don't have the originals there is no point worrying about it.

Regarsd,
Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is real sad being your an Aussie. Curious what they sell for there? How does price and availibility compare with the Lithgow No1 MkIII* HT Sniper there?
I have yet to see a No.4 Mk.I (T) for sale anywhere here, with that said I'm sure they are around, I haven't been looking for them as hard as I could as I am a student and they are well out of my grasp currently. Just from keeping tabs on some of the main sites I'd expect them to pop up on though I have not seen any recently. The museum at SAF Lithgow has at least one. Lithgow HTs are worth a small fortune regardless, my parents live about an hour from Lithgow itself and a guy brought along two of them to a gunshow nearby. Not for sale but reckons they'd be worth 4,500 each, they were in great condition. I've seen No.4 snipers going for everything between 1,700 and 3,000 US online. I think the big issue with availability for them is that so many were snapped up postwar by competition shooters in the UK where they are apparently very popular to that end.

No.4 patterned rifles were never produced in Australia, everything out here (that wasn't imported postwar or manfactured recently, like the AIA rifles) is based on the No.1 Mk.III* action. Our No.5s were brought out, not manufactured here. Lithgow did produce several prototypes designed after the No.5 but using the No.1 action, several examples of which we have at the museum and a couple are also privately owned (guy I got my No.4 off, a friend of the family and one of the big collectors out here, has owned at least one since I've known him). As a result No.4s command a slight premium at gunshows but tend to be another 50% again as expensive as a No.1 in similar condition from stores or many private sales. As far as I can tell, though, No.1s have started to climb in price as well.

Shooting in general is getting very expensive out here and prices vary wildly based on location, who you're dealing with, and seemingly current phase of the moon. Even Mosins are pretty pricey here by anyone else's standards. You're lucky to find a functional milsurp rifle of any type under $250-300.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Good for you. Scope range and wind-age drums track OK? Please work on your background,,LOL.

Well done.

..MJ..

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Adj knobs moves reticle as expected. Surprised at the ease with which the knobs turn though - expected more resistence. Nothing I will worry about till after I shoot it this weekend with some HXP .303 ammo I've been saving for a special occasion. Shooting report to follow this weekends BBQ at the local range.

Wish I had bought some of the new Hornady .303 Match load the CMP is offering now for comparison.

Sorry about background. Just finished the cleaning & examination.

Good for you. Scope range and wind-age drums track OK? Please work on your background,,LOL.

Well done.

..MJ..

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Do you have a link for that ammo?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting. Dont see it on their site.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm

But they have had it for sale at their matches, and from time-to-time at their stores.

They also sell a 7.62x54R Match Load I've been thinking of trying out.

Have tried the .30-06 Match load. It gives about a 30% smaller group than your typical HXP surplus.

I got a friend attending this week's matches - will give him a call and see if they have it for sale? In about three weeks there are the Eastern Games at Camp Butner, and I might go and pick up some.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks i will email them and ask.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The CMP had the Hornady Match loads at the Georgia Games. 30-06, 6.5 Swede, 7.62x54R, and .303 Brit. Not cheap at about $27 a box. He asked about it, and was told CMP was'nt trying to become a distributor. Selling as a convenience to competitors.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The CMP had the Hornady Match loads at the Georgia Games. 30-06, 6.5 Swede, 7.62x54R, and .303 Brit. Not cheap at about $27 a box. He asked about it, and was told CMP was'nt trying to become a distributor. Selling as a convenience to competitors.
Hmmmmmmmm,,,back to the .308 then

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.