Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cal 7.65 Pistolet Automatique "Destroyer" from I. Gaztanaga, Eibar.

Serial Number 30574 matching on slide, frame, magazine, and last three digits on barrel. Lanyard ring on the left side bottom grip; nine round magazine; only marks other than the IG on the left rear slide is a small captial M on the frame and slide. Looks like someone took a hammer to beat the slide back but barrel, while dark, has good rifling and no pitting.

For Bob in St Louis, how would this be marked if it were a French Military Gun; and what is the purpose of the button on the left side of the slide?

Edited to add, I removed both grips; they each have a small "s" and the left frame under the grip, trigger bar, and one other part are stamped with the number 694.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,081 Posts
what is the purpose of the button on the left side of the slide ? ... The French added a "safety knob" on left side of slide which helped to push out on the holster when holstering or upholstering to avoid moving the safety over to fire position as many accidents happened when doing it.

how would this be marked if it were a French Military Gun ... Once the pistols made into the system after the testing procedure (see below) they were supposed to be marked with a star or set of stars on either side of the magazine release catch which was mark of French acceptance of foreign weapons but since these weapons were needed badly at the various fronts they did not always get this marking on them.

Testing Procedure .... All "Ruby" pistols were shipped to the French Reception Commission at the Armies Artillery Park in Bayonne in lots of 1,000 where they were to be inspected to see if they met required specifications, such as bore and groove dimensions, and then fired a full magazine through them to see if they were accurate and functioned correctly. After the pistols were fired they then were re-inspected for possible broken, cracked or worn parts, if 10% of the weapons did not meet the above that whole lot was to be rejected and returned back to the manufactures. If a known lot was found to have a 5% failure rating due to grave manufacturing and function testing faults it would be rejected and sent back. As the French were supply the ammunition for the testing and using so much of this caused a constraint on the ammunition at the front, the testing was later limited to testing one or two of ten weapons in that specific lot for function failure which is why some of the weapons produced by some lesser quality handguns were found to be unsafe. The pistols were only intended to have a service life of 500 rounds.

Patrick

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
22,933 Posts
The "M" on the rear of the slide and frame plus the added knob onthe slide were Post-WWI markings and additions. The "IG" in a circle is the WWI era identifier code for the maker of the pistol. What is unusual about this piece is the last 3 digits of the serial number stamped on the barrel.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Regarding the serial number on the barrel, visible through the ejection port, I have a simliar RUBY .

I have a Gaspar Arizaga "Circled-A", with two French stars on the magazine well.
It also has the serial number on the barrel, visible through the ejection port.
The full serial number is 9896. The number on the barrel is 896.

Regards, Ned

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys I know this is a 2-1/2 year old thread but I posted a photo of it on another discussion (about the MAB Model D) and just realized something. I assume (now) the gun was made for the French Market; the words "Pistolet Automatique" are French; if it were Spanish it would say "Pistola Automatica". Of course maybe I'm over thinking the issue; they probably all were made for the French Market!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.