Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Folks,

I know next to nothing about these guns and revolvers in general. I do know that they are available for less than $200 by mail order and seem to fire a potent round. I'm disabled and looking for a CCW piece at a bargain basement price.

Do these revolvers have a safety? If not, is it safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber?

Do they hold 7 rounds? Somewhere I got that idea.

I take it they can be fired either SA or DA. What is the trigger like?

I currently have two Kel-Tecs which I love for the small size and weight but I hate the triggers on them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 1895 Nagant has no safety as such as on automatics & etc. but are safe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded cylinder. They do hold seven rounds of ammunition in the cylinder which should be loaded with 7.62X38R ammunition which is generally available in gun stores. But .32 Short & .32 S&W Long cartridges may be safely fired in these pistols. They may be fired either double action or single action and they generally are considered quite accurate. The trigger pull is a little atrocious but may be relieved somewhat but reading notes on this forum considering trigger pull...I absolutely love my little Nagant, was made in 1932 and it tighter than Dick's hatband as to wear and I do carry it concealed on occasion when I'm not packing a .45 Auto...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know I will catch flak for this especially since I'm new on this forum. I've only shot about 150 rounds through mine plus some reloads, but your question concerns self defence and the action of the pistol.
First, in single action the trigger is ok. The double action is ridiculously bad. Sure you can modify anything but do you want to go through that?
Second, you will not find ammo at any place like academy or Walmart. Online or gun show or a firearm specialty shop will be your choices.
Third, factory ammo is very weak for a self defense round unless you can find some old military surplus. Sure it will kill with a well placed shot. But so will a 22! Any strong 380, 9mm and above shames it.
If you want something cheap you can get it for 100$ plus shipping and dealer fees, and it's fun to shoot and if money is truly an issue then get one, but as a last choice for self defense which concealed carry is about.
I own over twenty pistols. Have a concealed carry permit and spent over eight years in the Marines. In trained hands any weapon is deadly, but don't use this weapon to protect your life with today's choices.
Now everyone give me hell, but I've held many weapons in my hands and I would not recommend this one to a disabled person for concealed carry.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I know I will catch flak for this especially since I'm new on this forum. I've only shot about 150 rounds through mine plus some reloads, but your question concerns self defence and the action of the pistol.
First, in single action the trigger is ok. The double action is ridiculously bad. Sure you can modify anything but do you want to go through that?
Second, you will not find ammo at any place like academy or Walmart. Online or gun show or a firearm specialty shop will be your choices.
Third, factory ammo is very weak for a self defense round unless you can find some old military surplus. Sure it will kill with a well placed shot. But so will a 22! Any strong 380, 9mm and above shames it.
If you want something cheap you can get it for 100$ plus shipping and dealer fees, and it's fun to shoot and if money is truly an issue then get one, but as a last choice for self defense which concealed carry is about.
I own over twenty pistols. Have a concealed carry permit and spent over eight years in the Marines. In trained hands any weapon is deadly, but don't use this weapon to protect your life with today's choices.
Now everyone give me hell, but I've held many weapons in my hands and I would not recommend this one to a disabled person for concealed carry.
I own almost 200 Nagants and I couldn't agree with you more! Considering todays choices, a Nagant is a very poor choice for a self defence weapon. House gun, get a .357 mangl'em and for carry, get a small automatic that can be reloaded quickly.
Joe

·
Silver Bullet member
36,322 Posts
Ditto. The Nagant (I still own 3) is a very neat 19th century survival that somehow kept in production up to WWII. But a modern, convenient handgun it ain't. The DA problems and lack of good self defence ammo are enough to eliminate it for use as anything but a curio to be shot for demonstration purposes alone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We all tend to agree or disagree on gun odds and ends, I sometimes carry my Nagant concealed in my area which is rural and a very low crime and peaceful one. (Comanche County, Texas) Were I going to the high crime cities the Nagant would be replaced by my .45 Auto loaded with jacketed hollowpoints or my Taurus 9mm which holds 17 in the mag and one in the barrel, hollowpoints, all....Someone kicking in the front door would be met by biting dogs and a Model 1897 Winchester Pump, loaded with potent 12 guage shells. But my old trusty Nagant is for fun and I shoot tin cans, paper targets, rocks and clay pigeons laying carefully placed to represent my big city zombies...As for the 7.62X38R ammo, two or three places around here handle it and I reload....Oh, I did the Nagant trigger job with a #312 Hearing Aid Battery laying flat back there at the aft of the hammer spring...

·
Registered
234 Posts
You should be able to get a used Taurus .38 caliber revolver revolver for under $200 that will handle the +P ammo. That will definitely be better than the Nagant revolver, which I like a lot, for person defence. Neither would conceal easily. If you can use a semi auto, the cz 82 can be had for under $200. The 9 x18 round would be good for self defence. I like the Hi-Point 9mm I have(ok, go ahead and laugh). You can get one for under $200. Mine works just fine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep the CZ 82 I use it for concealed carry very nice pistol holds 13 rounds of 9 X 18 go to J and G sales and get one with a new barrel on it mine shoots the center out of the target every time.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I want to see the 357 or 9mm for the price of an $89 Nagant.

Dallas
I think the comment was phrased incorrectly - I want to see an $89 Nagant that shoots like a 9mm or a .357. You get what you pay for!
Joe

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too will suggest anything other than a Nagant as a primary self -defense firearm. Lots of surplus Taurus .38's showing up at Nagant prices, plenty of Maks and .380's as well.

To me the Nagant revolver represents living history, novelty and just 'affordably unique' shooting. An obsolete gun firing an obsolete cartridge that is still within the reach of the budget of any shooter. Same holds true for the Mosin rifles.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have lots of pistols and have 2 guns for carry. a glock 23 and a cz 82. both have 5 pound triggers and can safely be carried loaded. the nagant is a great little gun but not a good pick for carry due to the problems described above. I would also not recommend a 357 mag unless you are going to load it with frangibles as the round can kill more than its intended target. A 380, 38, 40 or 45 would do the trick. Since price is a issue i would recomend the cz 82 as you would be hard pressed to find a better pistol for the money

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really couldn't recommend the nagant as a ccw. If you are on a tight budget and don't mind doing a little looking you should be able to find a used 9mm or .380 high point for around 100-125. For what you are paying with a lifetime warranty you can't beat it. If you are looking for something that is c&r eligable I would got for a cz-82.

·
Registered
281 Posts
"I own almost 200 Nagants ...... a Nagant is a very poor choice for a self defence weapon. House gun, get a .357 mangl'em ...." - jlpieper, posted above.

Where can one get a .357 for the price of a Nagant revolver?
7.5x54 fan, anyone who owns 200 Nagants definitely does not have to worry about the cost of a firearm!

Of course a Nagant may be used well for self-defense. Many folks have relied on lesser powered guns successfully.
First choice? Depends on how much cash I can invest in a firearm.

I would not feel poorly armed with a Nagant shooting a reloaded flat nose lead bullet at over 1000fps.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I didn't see if you posted what cal your Kel Tecs were. That might be what you need to carry. If money is a real issue for you, you could consider a High Point. I think they're a piece of junk but could do the job if needed.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I really couldn't recommend the nagant as a ccw. If you are on a tight budget and don't mind doing a little looking you should be able to find a used 9mm or .380 high point for around 100-125. For what you are paying with a lifetime warranty you can't beat it. If you are looking for something that is c&r eligable I would got for a cz-82.
J&G has used Taurus .38 special revolvers for $150.00{not C&R} and also CZ-82 for about $200.00
the Russian Nagant 7.62 says call for price...??? I bet the price is going up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.