Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New guy here. I have a question, but first, let me introduce myself.

I was one of those people that was thinking, if I'm ever going to get an AR-15 or an AK-47, I better go ahead and get on. I started doing some reading to help me decide what to get, when I ran across something called a K-31. Being a gear-head, I was impressed with the design and machining in that straight-pull. Well I found a gun shop that sells "old" guns. They had a K-31! I left that store with a K-31....and a 91/30.....and a M-44. I guess I'm hooked on the history as much as the rifles.

Today I'm in this gunshop, looking for a M38. They didn't have one but I did come home with a Spanish FR-8.

Anyway...now that I'm in the market for a safe, I realized that I need help. So here is my question....what do I say, when my other half ask's me "Why do you need a safe THAT big?".

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
78 Posts
Always buy the largest safe avalable, then you wont have to buy anther expensive safe within couple of months.............and you will have more empty slots you must fill up ;o)

And....never, ever, let your wife have access to your gun safe. She might get the strange adea that you have to many guns.

· Gold Bullet member
4,823 Posts
If she starts to think that you might have too many guns you could tell her you're starting to think about having one less wife...;):D

· Registered
2 Posts
I emptied my basic little "man closet" in the master bedroom and moved my small clothing collection into a spare bedroom closet. I then put my rifle collection in that empty closet in the master bedroom and left the double folding doors open for 2 nights with the light on. On the third day
I told my dear wife that I really need a gun safe and she could have my gun closet for her shoes.

It worked....

Work smarter, not harder...:cool:

Git er done..

Tim

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
Insurance is a heck of a lot cheaper than a safe. And from a couple of cases around here, if you buy a safe you'll need to insure THAT!

I just use the Stack-on gun cabinets, bolted to a concrete floor, to prevent teenage type casual pilfering. Otherwise http://www.collectinsure.com/ takes care of my worries. I collect guns, not marry them, and if they do get stolen I'd enjoy collecting more with the insurance money.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Insurance is a heck of a lot cheaper than a safe. And from a couple of cases around here, if you buy a safe you'll need to insure THAT!

I just use the Stack-on gun cabinets, bolted to a concrete floor, to prevent teenage type casual pilfering. Otherwise http://www.collectinsure.com/ takes care of my worries. I collect guns, not marry them, and if they do get stolen I'd enjoy collecting more with the insurance money.
I was thinking about the Stack-on cabnets.

Thanks for the collectinsure link. Thats good info!

· Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,076 Posts
As to the wife, usually anything over 10 becomes "a bunch" and they quit counting. At that point, here is what you do. Take 3 or 4 rifle cases, stick broomhandles and wads of newspaper in them so it looks like they contain rifles. Walk past your wife, and announce "Gee dear, I think I will take these old rifles over to Joe Shmoes shop/Gunshow/Flea Market, and see what they are worth". Then proceed to go to Joe Schmoes/Gunshow/Fleamarket. Dump the crap out of the rifle cases, make your purchases, shove them in the rifle cases, then head home. Walk past the wife, look crest fallen, and announce "Gee, they weren't worth what I thought." or "The economy is so bad, nobody is buying" or "I couldn't find any trade deals, so I will just hold onto them till the next time". Then go stick your new purchases in the safe/closet/under bed.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
There's some great advice, here, and welcome to the 'Boards and the Hobby! BUT! If we all knew the "Hard Answer" to that question, we wouldn't always be joking and discussing it, would we? HAHAHA! ;)

Again, Welcome. This disease has no cure!

· Admin Emeritus
19,077 Posts
It needs to be big enough honey to keep them from carrying it away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.