Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
that disk in the buttstock is for disassembly of the bolt. there are some pretty good diagrams that show how it's used, i'll dig one up and add it to this post.

as far as the spring, you can find those parts all over the internet. i've seen dozens on www.gunbroker.com and on ebay.

click on this link to see a pic of how it works. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2A_-FnDhmAc/0.jpg

·
Gold Bullet member
500 Posts
Can you give us a little more information about the rifle? There are two versions of the band retaining spring. The original design was a millled spring that fit into the groove between the rear barrel band and the front barrel band and snapped into a hole at the rear of the front bb. the second design was a late war stamped band spring adopted for use in 1943 and then, very late in the war, both bands were held on with wood screws and have a single hole drilled thru them to accomodate the screw. If you are missing the band spring you should attempt to find the one that was originally used on your rifle. On the top of the receiver you will find the manufacturer's code and below that a one, two, or 4 digit date stamp. What year was your rifle made?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This K98 is a byf 41 with all matching parts (except the bolt.) It was brought home by my father-in-law in late 1945 after he survived North Africa; Sicily; Italy and Southern France. He participated in 5 amphibious landings that we know of... Anyway all I need to make it more or less complete is the band retaining spring, a cleaning rod and a bayonet... Many thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Great WW2 Bring-Back

This K98 is a byf 41 with all matching parts (except the bolt.) It was brought home by my father-in-law in late 1945 after he survived North Africa; Sicily; Italy and Southern France. He participated in 5 amphibious landings that we know of... Anyway all I need to make it more or less complete is the band retaining spring, a cleaning rod and a bayonet... Many thanks for your assistance.
That is really super! :)
Do you have any papers that might have accompanied it in its journey across the Atlantic? That would make it even more precious and interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts